Thing Of The Past is the third studio album by Andy Cabic's San Francisco based band Vetiver.
The album consists of cover songs originally performed by songwriters Andy Cabic considers influential in his music & life. Several of the original authors appear as guests on their respective songs, including Michael Hurley. Thing Of The Past was recorded in Spring, 2007 in Sacramento and Los Angeles. The basic tracks, including all the guitars, drums, bass and some of the vocals, were recorded live in studio.
Andy Cabic has professed pride in the record, remarking:
"I think this is the best album I've yet to make, in no small part because the songs are so good, but also because I didn't write them, which offered me a useful combination of restraint and freedom in performing them, bringing out the best in myself and the other musicians. It was an experiment in a lot of ways, and it was one of the best experiences I've yet to have recording anything."
- "Houses" (Elyse Weinberg) – 3:43
- "Roll On, Babe" (Derroll Adams) – 4:27
- "Sleep A Million Years" (Dia Joyce) – 2:54
- "Hook & Ladder" (Norman Greenbaum) – 3:10
- "To Baby" (Biff Rose) – 4:26
- "The Road to Ronderlin" (Ian Matthews) – 2:24
- "Lon Chaney" (Garland Jeffreys) – 4:21
- "Hurry on Sundown" (Robert Calvert & Dave Brock) – 6:29
- "The Swimming Song" (Loudon Wainwright III) – 2:41
- "Blue Driver" (Michael Hurley) - 3:55
- "Standin'" (Townes Van Zandt) – 3:39
- "I Must Be In a Good Place Now" (Bobby Charles) - 4:30
: Vocals, Guitar & Banjo
: Guitar & Vocals
: Drums & Keyboards
: Guitar, Vocals & Banjo
: Vocals on "Sleep A Million Years"
: Keyboard, Pedal Steel & Melodica
: Vocals on "Blue Driver"
: Acoustic Guitar
, Abigail Chapin
& Lily Chapin
: Background Vocals