This area is divided by the M50 motorway were the more populated area is on the southside of the divide in Kingswood, and the more industrial side on the northside. Some more well known companies based in Ballymount are Smurfit, TV3, DHL, Johnson Brothers and Exel.
On the southside of Ballymount, there are the ruins of Ballymount castle, alongside the Luas tram tracks. The castle was built in 1622 by Sir William Parsons. The Irish army burnt the house in 1646. The original name give to the area was Bellamount (beautiful mount) in reference to the pre-existing mount (Bronze Age grave). In the early 18th century Ballymount Great was home to Mr John Butler, son of Sir Theobald Butler, Solicitor General in Ireland to James II. It is John Butler who is reputed to have built the folly (sham ruin) for his daughter’s wedding day. It was never a fully built structure but as the name implies a fake ruin. Beranger drew it in 1767, and his painting shows us what it looked like.
At the end of the 18th century the lands of Garranstown and Kingswood merged under the ownership of the Cullen family. The house retained the name Whitehall given to it by Mr Theo White. In William Duncan’s maps of the County of Dublin, the area is shown bearing both names, a practice that is still carried on with maps to this day. In 1865 Andrew Cullen Tynan, father of Katharine Tynan, the poet and writer, inherited the farm from an uncle. Katharine published her first book of poems “Louise De La Valliere”, at the age of 17.
In 1990, the club acquired a controversial changing area, a pre-fabricated former church which was placed beside the tennis courts. Following much local pressure, the portable srtucture was placed beside the architecturally similar community centre, where it languished, unloved and vandalised, until replaced in the early 2000s with a metal container. It is proposed that changing facilities will be placed in the new Community Centre. There are also changing facilities in Ballymount Park