The Supermen of America
are a fictional superhero
team published by DC Comics
. They first appeared in a special written by Stuart Immonen
published in 1999
, and a later mini-series written by Fabian Nicieza
, which was published in 2000
The original Supermen of America was an official Superman fan club from the 1940s. Comic readers could send away for and receive special membership cards that also doubled as decoders. Members also received buttons and special certificates.
The young members of the superhero
team Supermen of America
are all young metahumans
gathered by Outburst after the shooting death of singer
Junior K-D from the boy band
Crossfire. Outburst and his family had been saved from death at Doomsday's hands by Superman. The young naive meta is willing to accept Lex Luthor's
funding for a team of superheros to protect the city in Superman's absence. Although Luthor volunteered money, Outburst is tasked with recruiting the members.
Outburst first recruits his girlfriend White Lotus, a young meta trained by the Warlords of Okaara, then he gathers Brahma, Loser, Pyrogen, and Psilencer. They were salaried heroes but they were determined to protect the city from villains emboldened by news of Superman's apparent death.
They refurbish buildings across Metropolis and turn them into community centers. The main building Outreach 1 serves as the team's headquarters. After Psilencer's untimely death by a gang member, Outburst and his inexperienced teammates are deeply shaken and reconsider their vocation. It was around this time that the team met and recruits Maximum, the angry young protector of Suicide Slum, a chronically poor section of Metrpolis. A former athlete, Maximum would have remained quadripelegic without special implants provided by Lexcorp.
A disgruntled Lexcorp employee discovers that S.T.A.R. Labs had hidden a capsule inside a special holding chamber called Lockdown 6 in the waters near Metropolis. Luthor successfully deploys Pyrogen to retrieve the capsule from Lockdown 6, but he encounters the villainous group Deep Six and is rebuffed. Darkseid, lord of Apokolips, also wanted the contents of Lockdown 6 and had sent the Deep Six to retrieve them. In the Vega system, the Warlords of Okaara sense the danger presented by the capsule, and take preventative measures.
The Okaarans overpower Earth's defensive forces and White Lotus hurries to negotiate a peace settlement before they "cleanse' the planet. To save Earth from worse attacks, while White Lotus was negotiating with the Okaarans, the chamber is opened and the Unimaginable was unleashed. The Unimaginable's energy form possesses Maximum and he temporarily gains immense power. Maximum's parents eventually convinced him to relinquish the power, which he disperses safely.
In exchange for the Supermen's silence about his involvement with the Unimaginable fiasco, Lexcorp cuts its ties with the Supermen of America charities. Lex Luthor signs all property deeds over to the organization, including Outreach 1.
Several members of the group are seen in the during the 2006
" event in the pages of "The Omac Project
" #6. The team is confronting several OMACs, technologically advanced warriors controlled by a central intelligence that wishes to corral superhuman activities, even it means using murder. White Lotus is shown upright and active. Brahma and Outburst are clearly down. Loser is being attacked by two OMACs. Outside of a passing reference in a subsequent issue of Superman
, wherein it is mentioned Superman went to check on the team -- however much there was left at that point -- the final fate of the SoA remains unrevealed.
- Outburst (Mitch Anderson) - Outburst is the team leader, and has powers of Magnetokinesis.
- White Lotus (Nona Lin-Baker) - White Lotus has a malleable Auric forcefield and was trained in martial arts by the Warlords of Okaara. She was the offspring of African-American and Asian parents.
- Brahma (Cal Usjak) - Brahma is originally super strong and invulnerable. In the mini-series he discovered the ability to change his size as well, but the larger he grew the more petrified and stonelike his form became.
- Pyrogen (Claudio Tielli) - Pyrogen is a powerful pyrokinetic, and a hothead.
- Loser (Theo Storm) - Loser possesses a powerful dermal force field capable of withstanding anti-matter.
- Psilencer (Tim Thomas Townsend) - Psilencer is a prescient telepath and team tactician, killed by a gang member.
- Maximum (Max Williams) - Maximum is an African-American teenager created by Fabian Nicieza for the mini-series. Maximum's powers closely resembled those of Ultra Boy from the Legion of Superheroes. Max's powers come directly from Lexcorp, he can channel his special energies to increase his speed strength or senses to superhuman levels, but only one at a time.