"Why Does It Always Rain on Me?" is the breakthrough single that earned Travis international recognition. It was the third single from their second album, The Man Who, and their first Top 10 hit on the UK Singles Chart. Regional singles were released for the UK, Austria, Japan, and USA. It was written by Fran Healy on a trip to the city of Eilat in Israel, which is known for its extremely dry climate, but still through the brief time them Glasgow lads were there, the rain managed to follow them in this out most rare occasion.
- "Why Does It Always Rain on Me?"
- "Village Man"
- "Driftwood" (live at The Link Cafe, Glasgow)
The music video features the band in a rain-soaked setting, with the band having locked frontman, Healy (wearing a kilt
), in the boot of a car. Healy escapes, and chases the rest of the band for a while, ending by jumping out into a lake. Next, the band are featured in a floating living room, playing the song. The video ends with the living room floating away.
- Fittingly, when Travis was performing "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?" at the 1999 Glastonbury Festival, it promptly began to rain at the site. A similar event occurred in London's Party in the Park in Hyde Park the following year and also at the Quart Festival in Kristiansand, Norway three years later.
- The song was performed at the Live 8 concert, London on July 2, 2005, and featured in the Cold Case season 2 episode "Discretion".
- The song was performed in Episode 5, season 1 of the Da Ali G Show by Fran Healy.
- The song was covered by Green Day on a phone message on their website, in 2002.