Gunter's Tea Shop
's Berkeley Square
had its origins in a food business named “Pot and Pine Apple” started in 1757 by Italian Domenico Negri. Various English, French and Italian wet and dry sweetmeats were made and sold from the business. In 1777 James Gunter became Negri’s business partner, and by 1799 he was the sole proprietor. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries Gunter's became a fashionable light eatery in Mayfair
, notable for its ices and sorbets.