A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila is an American reality television dating game show similar to the TV show The Bachelor. It premiered on October 9 2007 on MTV starring Tila Tequila. The series is a bisexual-themed reality dating show where 16 straight males and 16 lesbian female contestants live in Tila's house and compete for her attention and affection. The contestants were not aware of Tila's bisexuality until the end of the first episode, after ten contestants had been eliminated. The remaining contestants, both male and female, then shared the same bedroom for the rest of the series. The ten episode series is produced by 495 Productions and MTV. A Shot at Love II premiered on April 22, 2008.
The finale ended with 6.2 million viewers, making it MTV's most watched series telecast.
Several news outlets released an article accusing Tequila of having a steady boyfriend, claiming that the show is a sham, and that she is not bisexual. They cite New York Post's Page Six article. However, Tequila denied these rumors on her official website, stating:
First of all, let me just say that whomever they are getting their 'sources' from needs to be fired real fast! I find it absolutely absurd that they would even make such an ignorant statement such as 'She's made out with some girls in her past, as all girls have, but she is not bi at all.' ... That is such an absurd stereotype to place on all women and it just shows people how ignorant people can be!
She never called me after the last show and no one would give me her number.
Bobby's full message:
Everyone wants to know what happend, and all there is to it, is that we didnt work as a couple outside the show. I wish it didnt have to end the way it did but there is nothing to do. We are still good friends and we try to stay in touch as well as we can, but eventually we both have to move on with our lives, and obviesly she has by making a new round of "A shot at love with Tila Tequila". We are both on our way to move on and we are both just living our lives.}}
Tila offered her own reasoning for why they broke up:
We couldn’t see each other for 2 months after [the finale], and we only talked on the phone. Just naturally, people kind of move on with their lives. We tried our best to keep in touch and keep it going, but after a while, all of this camera stuff, he just couldn’t handle it.
Spin-offs, supplements, season 2 and 3
- A Shot at Love: The Hangover is a supplementary show that shows clips and interviews guests as a recap to the show. It premiered on November 13, 2007 on MTV starring Ryan Stout. The show's debut averaged a 2.85 rating.
- A Shot at Love II with Tila Tequila - The second season premiered on April 22 2008 at 10pm, and follows the same bisexual-bachelorette formula. The premiere date was announced on Tila Tequila's Spring Break Fantasy Couple. It is set in a Hollywood Hills mansion (the same one as the second season of Rock of Love). It was planned to be aired after That's Amore! Tequila announced at her Masquerade party, Tila Tequila's New Year's Eve Masquerade, that MTV greenlit her for a second season. During the Masquerade, she revealed that she and Bobby parted ways, which prompted suspicion that she would be the bachelorette during season two of A Shot at Love. News articles confirmed this.
- A Shot at Love 3 - The third season was announced, and Tequila stated that she would not be the bachelorette. The third season is currently casting.
- That's Amore! - Due to his immense popularity, Domenico Nesci had the third spin-off. Also featured was former contestant Ashley, as Domenico's consigliere on the show, which Domenico officially announced on the reunion. It premiered on MTV on March 2, 2008 at 10/9c.
Casting for both shows was handled by Doron Ofir Casting
- Ep. 1 Surprise! I Like Boys and Girls (May The Best Sex Win-title on DVD and iTunes) (originally aired October 9 2007)
- Ep. 2 Can't We All Just Get Along? (Fight For Love-title on DVD and iTunes) (originally aired October 16 2007)
- Ep. 3 Under the Covers (originally aired October 23 2007)
- Ep. 4 A Broken Heart (originally aired October 30 2007)
- Ep. 5 I Always Get What I Want (originally aired November 6 2007)
- Ep. 6 The Cat Fight (originally aired November 13 2007)
- Ep. 7 A Second Chance? (originally aired November 20 2007)
- Ep. 8 Welcome To The Family (originally aired November 27 2007)
- Ep. 9 Three's A Crowd (originally aired December 4 2007)
- Special: One Shot Too Many (originally aired December 11 2007)
- In the week after Episode 9 aired and the week before Episode 10 aired, there was a special episode titled One Shot Too Many. Instead of being a regular episode, it was flashbacks and never before seen footage of events of the previous weeks of the show.
- Ep. 10 I Choose...(This Is Real-title on DVD and iTunes) (originally aired December 18, 2007)
- Special: The Final Round (originally aired December 23, 2007)
ContestantsThe following table lists the roster of contestants for each episode, ordered based on Tila's call-out order.
# Contestants Ep 1 Ep 2 Ep 3 Ep 4 Ep 5 Ep 6 Ep 7 Ep 8 Ep 9 Ep 10 1 Alex Alex Alex Ashli Ryan Dani Amanda Amanda Bobby Dani Bobby 2 Amanda Amanda Amanda Bobby Amanda Ryan Bobby Dani Dani Bobby Dani 3 Ashley Ashley Ashley Ryan Ashli Brandi Ryan Bobby Amanda Amanda 4 Ashli Ashli Ashli Amanda Michael B. Domenico Dani Ryan Ryan 5 Bennie Bobby Bobby Vanessa Domenico Amanda Domenico Domenico 6 Bobby Brandi Brandi Dani Brandi Steven Brandi 7 Brandi Dani Dani Ashley Vanessa Vanessa Vanessa 8 Brenda Domenico Domenico Sara Steven Bobby Steven 9 Chaos Eddie Eric Michael B. Dani Michael B. 10 Dani Eric Krystal Domenico Bobby Ashli 11 Domenico Grace Michael B. Steven Ashley 12 Eddie Krystal Rebecca Brandi Sara 13 Ellie Lala Rob Rebecca 14 Eric Marcus Ryan Eric 15 Grace Michael B. Sara Alex 16 Greg Rebecca Steven Krystal 17 Keasha Rob Vanessa Rob 18 Krystal Ryan Marcus 19 Lala Sara Steffanie 20 Lance Steven Grace 21 Marcus Steffanie Eddie 22 Michael B. Vanessa Lala 23 Michael R. Keasha 24 Rami Brenda 25 Rebecca Chaos 26 Rob Ellie 27 Ryan Scout 28 Sara Greg 29 Scout Lance 30 Steven Michael R. 31 Steffanie Rami 32 Vanessa Bennie
- Contestants surviving elimination in the first two episodes are arranged alphabetically, while eliminated contestants are arranged based on the order Tila announced that their shot at love had ended.
- The contestant was eliminated.
- The contestant won a date with Tila.
- The contestant won a date with Tila, but was eliminated.
- The contestant left of his/her own accord.
- The contestant won the competition.
EliminationsThe following table explains Tila's reasons for asking each contestant to leave.
- Some reasons were not stated in the episode in which they aired.
Men Name Reason for elimination Episode eliminated Bennie Cute, but not her type. Episode 1 Rami Could not remember him. Episode 1 Michael R. Reason not stated in episode. Episode 1 Lance Reason not stated in episode. Episode 1 Greg Too focused on sex; she was looking for more than that. Episode 1 Eddie Respects his virginity, but felt he is also too innocent. Episode 2 Marcus Connected at first, but caused too much drama. Episode 2 Rob Will make some woman happy someday, but not her. Episode 3 Alex Did not feel they had a connection. Episode 3 Eric Did not think they would make it as a couple. Episode 3 Ashley Seemingly fell in love with her too quickly; she felt something was not right about him. Episode 4 Michael B. Reason not stated in episode. Episode 5 Steven Connected more with the other people in the house than him. Episode 6 Domenico Connected more with the other people in the house than him, but credited him for his personality. Episode 7 Ryan Felt that his and her paths were too different, and that his family was too traditional and she could not fit into that lifestyle. Episode 8 Women Name Reason for elimination Episode eliminated Scout Did not remember her. Episode 1 Ellie Too shy. Episode 1 Chaos Did not connect with her. Episode 1 Brenda Reason not stated in episode. Episode 1 Keasha Felt that she is "a demolition project". Episode 1 Lala Did not like having men competing and being around them. Episode 2 Steffanie There for two days and still did not know her. Episode 2 Grace Did not feel they would be a good fit. Episode 2 Krystal Did not click with her. Episode 3 Rebecca Kissed Brandi while in the house and seems to have objections with monogamy. Episode 3 Sara Beautiful girl, but just did not have that connection she was looking for. Episode 4 Ashli Did not want to put her in a position where she felt uncomfortable. Episode 5 Vanessa Reason not stated in episode. In the following episode, however, due to her physical attack on Brandi during eliminations in Episode 6, it was alluded that she was not the right person. Episode 6 Brandi Left on Episode 6 in the heat of the moment after Vanessa's attack. Came back on Episode 7. However, she was not accepted back into the house because of the feeling that her return would jeopardize the show's integrity for the other contestants and the fear that she would walk out on Tila again. Episode 6/7 Amanda Had a deeper connection with Bobby and Dani, or as Tila said, "There's no more keys left." Episode 9 Dani Mentioned loving Dani, but being in love with Bobby. Offscreen, said she eliminated Dani to make sure their friendship "never ended" like dating show romances usually do. Tila later claimed that she did not want to take Dani "out of her element", because Dani has a very stable life at home in Florida and Tila travels and lives a chaotic life. Episode 10
DVD releaseOn January 22 2008, it was announced that the show would be released on DVD. A Shot At Love With Tila Tequila - The Complete Uncensored First Season was released on April 15 2008. The DVD contains the ten episodes, the reunion listed as episode 11, but does not contain the special episode "One Shot Too Many". Special features include extended scenes (Girls Cat Walk, Guys in Heels, Foam Party, Car Wash, Ashley vs. Marcus Poolside, Brandi & Rebecca Make Out, Brandi vs. Vanessa, Brandi vs. Vanessa Elimination) and deleted scenes (Spin The Bottle, Waxing, Strip Club, Brandi & Vanessa Shower, Ashley vs. Bobby, Ashley vs. Marcus).
- A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila's official site
- Show's Video Trailer
- Tila's official website
- Analysis of the complete season of 'A Shot at Love'