tack hammer

Upholstery hammer

An upholstery hammer (also called a tack hammer) is a lightweight hammer used for securing upholstery fabric to furniture frames using tacks.

Usually, one face of the hammer is magnetized to aid in placement of tacks. Once started, the tacks are driven with the other face. To apply tacks rapidly an upholsterer will hold tacks in the mouth and spit them onto the magnetized face of the hammer.

Staple guns have largely replaced tacking as an upholstery technique.

Search another word or see tack hammeron Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2015 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature