As the years passed and the tree flourished, growing to a height of over 60 feet (18 m), it was a favorite attraction of the miners who would sample its fruit and save seeds to plant in the dooryards of their cabins. On average, it yielded about 600 pounds (273 kg) of oranges that ripened between February and May each year. It has been transplanted twice, once in 1862 to avoid flooding of the Feather River, and again in 1964 during the construction of Oroville Dam to its present spot in the California State Park Headquarters in Oroville.
The tree's survival proved that the citrus industry could thrive in the colder climate of Northern California, encouraging many people to grow oranges in the area around Oroville, although the vast majority of oranges produced in the region are of the navel orange variety instead.
In 1998, a severe frost struck and the tree stopped bearing fruit for a number of years. As a result of the frost, decay fungus entered the trunk and hollowed it out. To ensure preservation of the tree, propagation experts at the University of California, Riverside successfully cloned the tree in 2003 and three clones were brought to Oroville for planting. The tree has since resumed fruit production.