The Surfrider Foundation USA
is a U.S. 501(c)(3)
grassroots non-profit environmental organization that works to protect and preserve the world's oceans, waves, and beaches. The Surfrider Foundation largely focuses its work on such issues as water quality
, beach access, beach and surf spot preservation
, and sustaining marine
and coastal ecosystems
Headquartered in San Clemente, California, the Surfrider Foundation maintains a small staff which work to support the organization's network of grassroots chapters.
The current CEO is Jim Moriarty who joined the organization in June 2005.
The Surfrider Foundation is a grassroots non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of the world's oceans, waves and beaches for all people, through conservation
The Surfrider Foundation was started in Malibu, California
by a handful of surfers
to protest threats to their local surf break at Malibu Point
. The organization continued on for several years as a loose advocacy group until 1991
, when the first chapters were founded. At that point the Surfrider Foundation transitioned into a grassroots activist organization. Today the Surfrider Foundation maintains over 50,000 members and 80 chapters across the worldwide.
- Respect the Beach - A coastal education program to educate students
- State of the Beach - An annual report published by the Surfrider Foundation that evaluates coastal environments by a number of "Beach Health Indicators"
- Blue Water Task Force - An all-volunteer led monitoring program that tests and reports on coastal water quality.
- Ocean Friendly Gardens - An outreach program to designed to reduce urban runoff and residential water consumption.
- Snowrider Project - An outreach program designed to educate the public on upstream watersheds and the hydrologic cycle.
- Rise Above Plastics - An educational program designed to raise awareness of and reduce the amount of plastic pollution in our marine environments.
- Turn The Tide Campaign (Australia)
There are currently 60 U.S. chapters and five international chapters.
USA West Coast
US Gulf Coast
US East Coast
Notable members and supporters
- Brandon Boyd, Musician
- Jeff Bridges, Actor
- Richard Burgi, Actor
- Dean Cain, Actor
- David Chokachi, Actor
- Yvon Chouinard, Founder of Patagonia
- Cameron Diaz, Actress
- Minnie Driver, Actress
- David Duchovny, Actor
- Tom Dumont, Musician
- Perry Farrell, Musician
- Peter Garrett, Musician, Politician
- Gregory Harrison Actor
- Jack Johnson, Musician
- Bruce Johnston, Musician
- Jill Cunniff, Musician
- Chad Lowe, Actor
- G. Love, Musician
- Sal Masekela, Television Personality
- Marisa Miller, Model
- Eddie Vedder, Musician