Bry-sur-Marne is a commune in the eastern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located 12.6 km. (7.8 miles) from the center of Paris.
The commune of Bry-sur-Marne is part of the sector of Porte de Paris, one of the four sectors of the "new town" of Marne-la-Vallée.
The photographer Louis Daguerre died in Bry-sur-Marne in 1851 and a monument marks his grave there.
Prehistory and early history
Bry's name comes from the Celtic
, which means a bridge or a river crossing. The area has been inhabited since Neolithic
times . The town's motto, which features on its coat of arms, is "Moult viel que Paris
" - old French for "Much older than Paris
In 1903, archeologist Adrien Mentienne uncovered the bones of a large bovine which died 15,000 years ago. In 1982, the skeleton of a woman who died in the 5th century BC was uncovered beneath the playground of a school in Bry. It is now housed in the town's museum
From that century onwards, there was a permanent human presence where Bry now stands. In 1886, a necropolis was found which contained pottery, Gaul and Frankish weaponry, silver and gold jewelry, and coins, dating from the Gaul era to the Merovingian. The first known written mention of the town named Bry was in a charter signed by King Charles the Bald in 861.
The first church was built in 1130.
From the feudal era to modern times
In 1404, Robert de Chatillon, cousin of King Charles VI
, was Bry's feudal
lord. His castle no longer stands, and its exact location is uncertain. Bry's current château
was built in the 1690s. It became the town hall
in 1866. It was rebuilt after the Franco-Prussian War
The railway came to Bry in 1926, followed by the motorway (1970) and the RER (1977). The town's hospital was built in 1936 .
Bry's most treasured artwork is a diorama
painted by Louis Daguerre
. The painting changes as each day wears on, mimicking daylight and night-time; the painted candlesticks light up at night. It is kept in the local church.
Bry-sur-Marne is served by Bry-sur-Marne
station on Paris RER line A
The town has been twinned with Sawbridgeworth
and Moosburg an der Isar