Jan Johnston (born February 21, 1968 in Salford, Lancashire, England) is a female singer.
In the early 1990s she was signed to Columbia Records as part of the pop duo JJ which gained some recognition touring the UK.
However when the band project failed she changed musical genres and started appearing on many dance and trance releases, mostly on the Perfecto Records label. Her voice is featured in several Tiësto and Brian Transeau mixes, as well as many other trance music producer titles.
- 1990 "If I Never See Sunday"
- 1990 "Slide Away"
- 1991 "If This is Love"
- 1991 "Crying Over You"
- 1994 Naked But for Lillies
- 2000 Emerging
- 1994 "Paris"
- 1994 "Alive"
- 1998 "Asking Too Much" (featuring Jamie Myerson) (US only; non-album)
- 2001 "Flesh" (debut Perfecto Records single release; non-album)
- 2001 "Silent Words" (second Perfecto single release; from unreleased album Emerging)
- 2002 "Am I on Pause?" (third Perfecto single release; vinyl only; non-album)
- 2003 "Calling Your Name" (Thrillseekers re-recorded version with new vocals; Platipus Records; vinyl only; non-album)
Collaborations and guest vocals
- 1995 Libra Presents Taylor - "Anomaly - Calling Your Name" (BT-produced track which samples "The Prayer" ("Paris" B-side))
- 1997 Submerge - "Take Me By the Hand"
- 1997 BT - "Remember" and "Lullaby for Gaia"* (from the BT album ESCM (*US Version only))
- 1998 Freefall - "Skydive" (single release, re-issued in 2000)
- 1999 BT - "Mercury & Solace" (single release from BT album Movement in Still Life)
- 1999 BT - "Dreaming" (single release) & "Running Down the Way Up" (backing vocals) (from the BT album Movement in Still Life)
- 1999 BT - "Sunblind" (from the Japanese version of Movement in Still Life/BT Compilation R&R)
- 1999 Cloak - "Quiet Then" (from the OST compilation album "Hackers Vol. 2")
- 1999 Libra presents Taylor - "Anomaly" (overhauling remix a single release with new video)
- 2000 Tomski - "Love Will Come" (single release)
- 2001 Tiësto - "Close to You" (from the Tiësto album In My Memory)
- 2002 Cosmic Gate - "Raging (Storm)" (single release)
- 2003 DJ Cor Fijneman - "Venus" (European and US single release)
- 2003 Paul van Dyk - Reflections album featuring Johnston on vocals on "Kaleidoscope", "Homage", "Like a Friend", "Spellbound"; "Nothing But You" features Norwegian vocals "Jeg har ingenting men jeg har alt nar jeg har deg" which translates to "I have nothing but I have everything when I have you." - also a single release.
- 2003 Svenson & Gielen - "Beachbreeze" (single release)
- 2003 "Calling Your Name" (re-recorded with new verses & releases as a Jan Johnston single)
- 2003 BT - "Communicate" (from the 2003 BT album Emotional Technology) (unofficial single, 2 known remixes have been made)
- 2004 Serge Devant - "Transparent" (single release with multiple mixes)
- 2005 Cosmic Gate - "I Feel Wonderful"
- 2005 Paul Oakenfold - "Delerium" - (from The Club OST Soundtrack Mix album (TV series OST))
- 2006 Leama & Moor - "Waiting" - (from the Leama & Moor album Common Ground)
- 2006 Cosmic Gate - "This Is The Party" (from album Earth Mover)
- 2007 DJ Shah - "Beautiful"
- 2007 R&Y - "It's Cold Outside"
- 2007 J Joy - "Rush"
- 2008 DJ Trenix - "Let The World Fall Apart"
- 2008 Jussi Soro - "Merge"
- 2008 "Invisible Walls" (collaboration with Nektarios and trance singer Kirsty Hawkshaw) - (Nektarios meets F-used)
Jan recorded a second solo album entitled Emerging in 1999/2000 as a result of signing to Paul Oakenfold's Perfecto label. The album was not released. The album track list was:
- "Silent Words"
- "Alligator Waters"
- "Freeze Frame"
- "Is Disaster Coming"
- "As the Cracks Appear"
- "No Excuses"
- "21st Century Cinderella"
- "God's Plan"
Even though not recorded for Emerging, a track entitled "Flesh" which Johnston wrote and recorded with Brian Transeau in 1997 during the same sessions as "Remember" was decided to be released as the first single on the Perfecto label. The original BT mix is currently available from BT's MusicFreedom page in the "Best of BT" album. The version used on the single release was a Paul Oakenfold edited version of the famous Tiësto Remix.
"Silent Words" was released as follow up single to "Flesh" in a shortened butchered edit.
Some of the other album tracks did appear on various releases;
- "Unafraid" was remixed by Paul Oakenfold and featured on the soundtrack album to the 2001 film Swordfish.
- "Superstar" (a cover of the Carpenters classic) was originally intended as the lead single from Emerging and was remixed by Todd Terry amongst others. A video was even made for the song but has never been seen. Remixes of this track appeared on various Oakenfold compilation albums.
- Remixes of "As the Cracks Appear" appeared on the Oakenfold vinyl only promo release A Perfecto Summer.
- Johnston wrote and recorded a track entitled "Religion" with Paul Oakenfold in 1999 which was performed live but has never seen a commercial release.
- A remix of "Am I on Pause?" appeared on at least two live dj sets that were part of Paul Oakenfold's Essential Mix World Tour. Once on January 17th, 1999 in Sydney, Australia, and another on March 28, 99 at Shadow Lounge in Miami, Florida. Interestingly, the remix was used as the second track in both sets.
- Paul Oakenfolds music made up the larger part of the soundtrack to 2007 Japanese animated film "Vexille", Jan Johnston sang "More Than Human."