The city centre was once dominated by the large cathedral of the Saviour's Transfiguration. It is a Neoclassical structure of the 18th century, extensively repaired and reconstructed in 1858 and 1880s, when the belltower of 56 metres was added. The interior features frescoes by Vladimir Makovsky and Klavdiy Lebedev. The Resurrection Church (1702), the oldest structure in the town, is still in fair preservation, owing to recent restoration works (picture). The cathedral of the monastery of St. Pantaleon was erected in 1911 to a design by Aleksey Shchusev and is scored to resemble medieval monuments of Novgorod and Pskov.Christians - Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholics and Protestants (Baptists, Seventh-day Adventists etc.). Also are represented Jehovah Witnesses' movement, Judaism, Islam and Buddhism.
From the beginning of XX century, when in 1901 the Blessed Virgin Mary Annunciation Church had been founded in Sumy, town had become the center of North-East Ukrainian Catholicism. After its consecration in 1911 and closing down by the authorities in two decades, the temple was used for unproper purpose. Only after the disintegration of USSR the temple had been retrieved to regenerate Roman-Catholic parish in May 1994 and had been solemnly reconsecrated in spring 1998.
The last registration had been in 1919, November 20. The last Mass, before the temple had been closed down, had been held in 1932 by Fr. Vagonis. First priest (September 1992-February 1995) of new parish had been appointed Fr. Vitaly Skomarovsky.
Next two parish priests had become Fr. Gennadius Bilinsky (March 1995-September 1997) and Fr. Felix Svintsitsky (September 1997-August 1999). Fourth parish (September 1999-June 2006) had been Fr. Stanislav Tanatarov. His successor (since 2006) had become present parish priest Fr. Arthur Surovsky.