: 维多利亚街) is a street
located in the Central Area
. The street starts at Victoria Bridge
at the end of Kallang Road
, after the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority
building, in the north and continues as Hill Street
at its junction
with Stamford Road
in the south. The street largely forms the boundary between the Downtown Core
and the Rochor
and Museum Planning Areas
Etymology and history
Both Victoria Street and Victoria Bridge were named after Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom
(1819-1901). Victoria Bridge over Rochor River
was built in 1914 and took its name from Victoria Street.
The name of Victoria Street may have changed several times in the nineteenth century. On Lieutenant Philip Jackson's plan of the town of Singapore, drawn in 1822, the street appears as "Rochor Street". However, in an 1836 map of the town drawn from a survey by George Drumgoole Coleman, the street was marked out as "Marbro Street".
The Chinese called the street au bei chia lo, or "the back of horse carriage street", referring to the back of North Bridge Road.
The Tamil name for the street was kammangala puthu kuthu madei sadakku, which meant "Street of Kampong Glam and the new Hindu theatre", a reference to Kampong Glam and the Tamil cinema. The Indians also called it boyan kampam or pal kampam.
The Malays refer to the street as kampong boyan lama, a reference to the old Baweanese village that was located in the area towards Rochor Road.
Victoria Street passes through the historic districts of Kampong Glam, Bugis
and Bras Basah
. Notable landmarks
along the road include (from north to south):
- Victor R Savage, Brenda S A Yeoh (2004), Toponymics - A Study of Singapore Street Names, Eastern University Press, ISBN 981-210-364-3