(born June 7
) is a science fiction
author primarily known for his Star Trek
novels and short stories, which began with publication in the Strange New Worlds
anthology series. He published stories in each of the first three Strange New Worlds
volumes, making him the first author to render himself ineligible under the rules of that series. As such, future authors who achieved the same feat were said to have earned a "Wardy."
In addition to his Star Trek books, he has written numerous articles related to Star Trek in Star Trek Communicator and Star Trek Magazine. He has also published a number of short stories in various magazines and collections. His frequent collaborator on these and other works is fellow author Kevin Dilmore.
Before he became a successful author, Ward joined the United States Marine Corps, where he served for more than eleven years. He currently lives with his family in Kansas City, Missouri, where he works as a software developer when not writing. His stated hobbies include reading, going to movies, and watching football, basketball, or beach volleyball.
He is a fan of Canadian rock band Rush, and several of his stories have been named after Rush songs.
- "Planet of the Apes: An Annotated Chronology" (February 2001)
- "Friend In Need" (The World's Best Shortest Stories, April 2001)
- The Planet of the Apes Chronicles (contributor, August 2001)
- The Last World War (September 2003)
- "Absent Friends" (Kansas City Voices Magazine, November 2004)
- "Enemy Unknown!" (Rocket League, July 2005)
- The Genesis Protocol (February 2006)
- "Getting Some Air" (DZ Allen's Muzzle Flash, January 2007)
- "Stayin' In Vegas" (DZ Allen's Muzzle Flash, May 2007)
- "Texas Pride: A Tale of The Last World War" (Amazon Shorts Program, May 2007)
- " Stop Loss" (Down In The Cellar, June 2007)
- "Jack and the Weird-Ass Box" (Houston: We've Got Bubbas!, July 2007)
- "Stayin' In Vegas, Part II" (DZ Allen's Muzzle Flash, September 2007)
- "Last Stand" (Thug Works Magazine, October 2007)
- "Stayin' In Vegas, Part III" (DZ Allen's Muzzle Flash, November 2007)