is a live album by Canadian
, released in 1981
. A video release with the same name
, with slightly different content, was released in 1982 on VHS
and later on Laserdisc
, and in 2007 on DVD
All songs written by Alex Lifeson
, Geddy Lee
and Neil Peart
, except where noted.
- "The Spirit of Radio" – 5:11
- "Red Barchetta" – 6:46
- "YYZ/drum solo" (Lee, Peart)/(Peart) – 7:43
- "A Passage to Bangkok" – 3:45 *
- "Closer to the Heart" (Lifeson, Lee, Peart, Peter Talbot) – 3:08
- "Beneath, Between & Behind" (Lifeson, Peart) – 2:34
- "Jacob's Ladder" – 8:46
- "Broon's Bane" (Lifeson) – 1:37
- "The Trees" – 4:50
- "Xanadu" – 12:09
- "Freewill" – 5:31
- "Tom Sawyer" (Lifeson, Lee, Peart, Pye Dubois) – 4:59
- "La Villa Strangiato" – 9:37
Tracks 1-3 and 8-13 of the original vinyl were recorded in Canada during the Moving Pictures tour, while tracks 4-7 were recorded in the UK during the Permanent Waves tour.
* The original CD issue did not include A Passage to Bangkok due to time constraints, as CDs could only hold 75 minutes at the time. The track did appear on the original LP, 8-track cartridge and cassette issues, and was later included in the remastered CD, when CD times had increased to 80 minutes.
An item from each of Rush's previous eight studio album covers can be seen on the cover of this live album. The owl
from Fly by Night
flies above Apollo
, the man in the suit from Hemispheres
, who stands next to the woman from Permanent Waves
. The puppet king from A Farewell to Kings
sits atop a box stenciled with the "Rush" logo from Rush
. Next to him is a painting of the Caress of Steel
album cover, held by one of the movers from Moving Pictures
, with another mover standing behind. Next to this is Dionysus
, the nude man from Hemispheres
. Behind this scene, the starman from 2112
hangs in the background, next to an "EXIT" sign. This entire scene is on the left side of the stage, thus "Exit...Stage Left" which is of a photo of a concert in Buffalo, New York
at Buffalo Memorial Auditorium
"Exit...Stage Left" was voted 9th best live album of all time in a poll by Classic Rock Magazine in 2004
||Billboard's Pop Albums
- Written by: Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart & Pye Dubois
- Produced by: Terry Brown
- Chart positions:
||"Closer to the Heart"|
- Written by: Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart & Peter Talbot
- Produced by: Terry Brown
- Chart positions: #69 US Hot 100; #7 US Mainstream Rock
A remaster was issued in 1997.
- The tray has a picture of three fingerprints, light blue, pink, and lime green (left to right) with THE RUSH REMASTERS printed in all caps just to the left. All remasters from Moving Pictures through to Hold Your Fire are like this. This is just like the cover art of Retrospective II.
- 1. Includes the track A Passage to Bangkok which was left off the original CD issue due to time constraints, as CDs could only hold 75 minutes at the time, but later increased to 80 minutes. The track also appears in the LP, 8-track cartridge and cassette issues.
The vinyl LP version had two LP's with all songs included.