or assistant stage manager
is a theater technician
who is responsible for keeping track of cast members, sets, and miscellaneous details during rehearsals and production of a stage performance. During the running of a show, they are usually located backstage. They can communicate with performers and technicians
locally as well as other technicians in the running crew
using a headset. They usually report to the Production Stage Manager.
Some possible duties and responsibilities of an ASM
- Attend all rehearsals as needed by the Stage Manager
- Assist with the running of props and costume pieces
- Follow the "book" and prompt
- Cue actors' entrances and set changes
- Run lines with actors when asked
- Prepare the rehearsal stage for work each day (sweep, mop, set furniture, etc.)
- Run errands for the director and stage manager
- Participate in strike
- Assist the stage manager in any assignments given.
- Attend all production meetings.
- Supervise all crews backstage during tech week and performance.
- Inspect the stage before each performance.
- Inspect and sweep the rehearsal space before each rehearsal.
- Supervise the proper storage and placement of all props, furniture, movable set pieces, and costumes before and after each rehearsal and performance.
- Be in contact with the stage manager during rehearsal period and all performances.