squared things

New South Wales Rugby Football League season 1962

1962's New South Wales Rugby Football League premiership was the fifty-fifth season of the rugby league competition based in Sydney. Ten teams from across the city competed for the J J Giltinan Shield and WD & HO Wills Cup during the season, which culminated in a replay of the previous year's grand final between St. George and Western Suburbs.


Balmain Canterbury-Bankstown Eastern Suburbs Manly-Warringah
Newtown North Sydney Parramatta South Sydney
St. George Western Suburbs


Team Pld W D L PF PA PD Pts
1 St. George 18 13 1 4 373 194 +179 27
2 Newtown 18 13 0 5 290 230 +60 26
3 Western Suburbs 18 12 1 5 299 210 +89 25
4 Parramatta 18 9 2 7 236 218 +18 20
5 Eastern Suburbs 18 9 1 8 213 230 -17 19
6 Canterbury-Bankstown 18 7 2 9 228 235 -7 16
7 Manly-Warringah 18 7 1 10 234 270 -36 15
8 Balmain 18 5 2 11 237 300 -63 12
9 North Sydney 18 4 2 12 263 361 -98 10
10 South Sydney 18 4 2 12 212 337 -125 10


Home Score Away Match Information
Date and Time Venue Referee Crowd

Semi Finals

Western Suburbs 6-0 Parramatta 25 August 1962 Sydney Sports Ground Darcy Lawler 26,281
St. George 30-9 Newtown 1 September 1962 Sydney Cricket Ground Col Pearce 36,058
Preliminary Final

Newtown 13-25 Western Suburbs 8 September 1962 Sydney Cricket Ground Col Pearce 26,554
Grand Final

St. George 9-6 Western Suburbs 15 September 1962 Sydney Cricket Ground Jack Bradley 41,184

Grand Final

St. George Position Western Suburbs
Kevin McDonald FB Kevin Bray
Johnny King WG Dave Barsley
John Riley CE Fred Nordem
Reg Gasnier CE Gil McDougall
Eddie Lumsden WG Peter Dimond
Johnny Raper FE Arthur Summons (c)
George Evans HB Don Malone
Monty Porter PR Dennis Meaney
Ian Walsh HK Noel Kelly
Billy Wilson PR John Hayes
Kevin Ryan SR Jim Cody
Norm Provan (Ca./Co.) SR Garry Russell
Elton Rasmussen LK Kevin Smyth
Coach Jack Fitzgerald
Wests had finished third on the ladder but won two semi-finals for another crack at their nemesis in a rain-soaked and muddy Grand Final. St George were favoured by a strong breeze in the first half which dropped off in the second half, giving Wests no reciprocal advantage.

The only try of the match was scored in the 17th minute after Norm Provan burst through and found Kevin Ryan in support who in turn found Johnny King on the fly. The winger raced 30 yards over sodden ground to score, notching up another Grand Final try in his unblemished consistent record.

The score was 7-2 at half time, with the Dragons playing almost all the second half after Billy Wilson was sent off.

The match was a tight forward struggle with misdemeanors from both sides. Provan and Rasmussen finished the game needing stitches and Jim Cody and Garry Russell suffered broken noses. Wests did all they could to contain Reg Gasnier with Gill McDougall enjoying some success in hammering Gasnier and keeping him bottled up.

Saints' best were Ryan, Ian Walsh and Johnny Raper playing at five-eighth in place of Brian Clay whose injury prone season had ended early with a broken arm.

The game is remembered for a couple of off-the-ball incidents which began with Provan being knocked out by Jim Cody five minutes before half time. 'Sticks' Provan was carried from the field and didn't return again until well into the second half. Cody escaped any official punishment. Wilson came out as captain in the second half and apparently squared things up in the first seconds after kick-off before the first tackle took place. Accounts differ as to whether 'Bluey' Wilson was provoked by Cody before Wilson hit him, but hit him he did and referee Jack Bradley sent Wilson off. With no replacements allowed in those days, St George were reduced to 11 men until Provan returned to the field 15 minutes later.

In what can only be described as a heroic defensive effort, St George held out Wests and won the match.

The match was Billy Wilson's final game for St George; he had appeared in six of the Grand Final victories. The Larry Writer reference suggests that the send-off may have soured Wilson's relationship with club officials in spite of the victory. Whether true or not, at 35 years of age, the end of Wilson's playing career was looming from the club's perspective and his contract was not renewed.

As of the 2007 NRL season no forward since Wilson has been sent off in a Grand Final. In this game Wilson also became the only man to have been sent off in two grand finals following on from his dismissal by Darcy Lawler in 1953 for fighting with South Sydney's Martin Gallagher.

St. George 9 (Tries: King. Goals: McDonald 3.)

Western Suburbs 6 (Goals: Bray 3.)


Search another word or see squared thingson Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2015, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature