: Cùbar Aonghais
) is a town in Perth and Kinross
, situated eight kilometres south of Blairgowrie
The name Coupar Angus serves to differentiate the town from Cupar, Fife. The town was transferred from the county of Angus to Perthshire in 1891, but retained its traditional name.
It is located on the A94 Perth-Forfar road, although the town centre itself is now bypassed.
Coupar Angus Abbey
In the Middle Ages
it was the site of the major Cistercian
abbey of Coupar Angus
, one of Scotland
's most important monasteries, founded by Malcolm IV
(1153-65) in the 1160s. Of the abbey, only architectural fragments, preserved in the 19th century parish church (which is probably on the site of the monastic church), or built into houses and walls throughout the town, survive, along with part of one of its gatehouses.
- Coupar Angus is home to the junior football club Coupar Angus F.C. and also Coupar Angus Amateur Football Club.
- The town is the subject of a song by Perthshire band Splen titled "We Love Coupar Angus", which is available to download for free at their website www.splen.co.uk