|MS Spirit of Free Enterprise|
|Operated By:||Townsend Thoresen (1980-1987)|
The Spirit of Free Enterprise was the first of a class of three RORO ferries built for Townsend Thoresen at the end of the 1970s. Her two sister ships were the MS Pride of Free Enterprise and the infamous MS Herald of Free Enterprise.
In 1991 Pride of Kent was extended in a process often known as "Jumboisation". The ship was cut in half and a new hull and superstructure section 31 metres in length was inserted amidships, raising her passenger capacity to 1825 and her car capacity to 460. The work cost £20m and took 6 months.
In 1998 she was renamed P&OSL Kent following the merger of P&O European Ferries and Stena Line on the Dover - Calais route, and later "P O Kent" in August 2002 (following P&O's buyout of Stena Line's 40% share in the joint venture).
In the spring of 2003 the ship was sold by P&O after a brief lay-up period in Dunkerque. She has been replaced by the Pride of Kent, an extensive rebuild of a former freighter, which P&O Ferries, considered to be new ships, but were in fact, converted freight ships