This article is about the shrub. For the automobile, see Mitsubishi Cordia.
Cordia is a genus of shrubs and trees in the borage family Boraginaceae. About 300 species have been identified worldwide, mostly in warmer regions. Many of the species are commonly called manjack.
Many Cordias have fragrant showy flowers and are popular in gardens, although they are not especially hardy. Like most other Boraginaceae, most have hairy leaves.
Cordia species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Endoclita malabaricus and two bucculatricid leaf-miners recorded solely from Cordia: Bucculatrix caribbea and Bucculatrix cordiaella.
A number of the tropical species have edible fruits, known by a wide variety of names including clammy cherries, glue berries, sebesten or snotty gobbles. In India, the fruits of local species are used as a vegetable, raw, cooked, or pickled, and are known by many names, including lasora in Hindi. One such species is Cordia dichotoma (fragrant manjack), which is called gunda in Hindi. The fruit of the fragrant manjack are called phoà-pò·-chí (破布子) in Taiwan where they are eaten pickled.
Bocote is a Spanish name used in Central America for several species of Cordia.
- Cordia abyssinica
- Cordia africana
- Cordia africana (white manjack)
- Cordia alliodora (Spanish elm, Ecuador laurel, salmwood, bocote)
- Cordia angustifolia (basora)
- Cordia bahamensis (Bahama manjack)
- Cordia bellonis (serpentine manjack|
- Cordia boisseri (Texas olive, anacahuita)
- Cordia borinquensis (capá, muneco)
- Cordia buddeloides
- Cordia collococca (red manjack)
- Cordia crenata
- Cordia croatii
- Cordia curassavica (black sage, wild sage)
- Cordia dentata (white manjack)
- Cordia dichotoma (fragrant manjack, bird lime tree )
- Cordia dodecandra (ziricote)
- Cordia eleagnoides
- Cordia gerascanthus (yauco, Spanish elm, laurel negro, baria)
- Cordia globosa (bloodberry, butterfly sage, curaciao bush)
- Cordia guanacastensis
- Cordia holstii
- Cordia kingstonia
- Cordia laevigata (smooth manjack)
- Cordia lima (lija)
Cordia myxa (Assyrian plum)
Cordia nitida (red manjack, Indian cherry)
Cordia obliqua (clammy cherry)
Cordia parvifolia (small-leaf geigertree)
Cordia podocephala (Texas manjack)
Cordia polycephala (black-sage)
Cordia rickseckeri (orange manjack, San Bartolome)|
Cordia rupicola (Puerto Rico manjack, cliff manjack)
Cordia sebestena (geiger tree, large-leaf geigertree)
Cordia subcordata (kou, tou, marer)
Cordia sulcata (mucilage manjack, laylay, white manjack, wild clammy cherry)
Cordia trichotoma (petiribí)
Cordia wagneriorum (Luquillo Mountain manjack)
- Cordia rickseckeri Millsp. (black manjack)