The Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam (Hiến pháp Cộng hòa Xã hội Chủ nghĩa Việt Nam) is the current constitution of Vietnam, adopted on April 15 1992 by the Eighth National Assembly, and amended by the National Assembly in December 2001. There have been three previous constitutions of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam:
The 1992 Constitution (as amended) includes a Preamble and chapters on the political system; economic system; culture, education, science, and technology; national defence; basic rights and obligations of citizens; the National Assembly; the state President; the government; People's Councils and People's Committees; the judiciary and the procuracy (state prosecutors' offices); the national flag, emblem, anthem, capital and national day; and amendment of the Constitution.
In addition to the 1946, 1959, 1980, and 1992 (and amended) Constitutions of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam and the Socialist Vietnam, the former South Vietnam also adopted two constitutions, in 1956 and 1967. Neither of these constitutional documents is in force; the 1967 Constitution was abrogated after Vietnam was unified in 1975.
General reading and the 1992 Constitution and 2001 amendments
- Mark Sidel, The Constitution of Vietnam: A Contextual Analysis, Oxford: Hart Publishing, 2009 (forthcoming).
- Mark Sidel, Law and Society in Vietnam, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- To Van-Hoa, Judicial Independence, Lund: Jurisförlaget i Lund, 2006.
- Mark Sidel, Analytical Models for Understanding Constitutions and Constitutional Dialogue in Socialist Transitional States: Re-Interpreting Constitutional Dialogue in Vietnam, 6 Singapore Journal of International and Comparative Law 42-89 (2002).
- Pip Nicholson, Vietnamese Legal Institutions in Comparative Perspective: Constitutions and Courts Considered, in K Jayasuriya (ed.), Law, Capitalism and Power in Asia: The Rule of Law and Legal Institutions, London: Routledge, 1999.
- Russell H K Heng, The 1992 Revised Constitution of Vietnam: Background and Scope of Changes, 4:3 Contemporary Southeast Asia 221 (1992).
The 1980 Constitution
- Nguyen Phuong-Khanh, Introduction to the 1980 Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, 7(3) Review of Socialist Law 347 (1981)(including the text of the 1980 Constitution).
The 1959 Constitution
- Bernard Fall, North Viet-Nam’s New Draft Constitution, 32:2 Pacific Affairs 178 (1959).
- Bernard Fall, North Viet-Nam’s Constitution and Government, 33:3 Pacific Affairs 282 (1960).
- Bernard Fall, Constitution-Writing in a Communist State – The New Constitution of North Vietnam, 6 Howard Law Journal 157 (1960).