This article gives an overview of the mire communities
in the British National Vegetation Classification
The mire communities of the NVC were described in Volume 2 of British Plant Communities, first published in 1991, along with the heath communities.
In total, 38 mire communities have been identified.
The mire communities consist of a number of separate subgroups.
- five bog plane communities (M17, M18, M19, M20 and M21)
- two wet heath communities (M15 and M16)
- four bog-pool communities (M1, M2, M3 and M4)
- four base-poor small sedge & rush communities (M5, M6, M7 and M8)
- six base-poor small sedge & Schoenus communities (M9, M10, M11, M12, M13 and M14)
- seven fen-meadow / rush-pasture communities (M22, M23, M24, M26, M25, M27 and M28)
- two soakaway communities (M29 and M30)
- eight communities of springs and rills (M31, M32, M33, M34, M35, M36, M37 and M38)
List of mire communities
The following is a list of the communities that make up this category: