(born September 10
) is one of the pioneers in the Olympic
sport of triathlon
. She resides in Sacramento
. Edwards has helped to organize both the national and international governing body for the sport. She also wrote the first book on triathlons, and 6 subsequent books on the sport.
Edwards is also an entrepreneur, who has founded six companies including: Fleet Feet Sports
(a chain of franchise retail sports stores); Yuba Snowshoes
); and most recently, Heart Zones
USA an international fitness and health training and education company.
She is also a professional motivational speaker, who has advised thousands on how to find and live the fitness lifestyle.
Sally Edwards has completed over 150 races including more than 75 Danskin Triathlons
and 16 Ironman Triathlons
. She is a former holder of the master's world record in the Ironman, and the national spokesperson for the Danskin series of women-only sprint triathlons. Her background in multi-sport competition is extensive. She has won the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run
, the 100 mile Iditashoe Snowshoe Race
, Race Across America
Relay division, and numerous marathons
. She has also participated in adventure races
around the world.
In 1999, Sally Edwards was selected to be a member of the Triathlon Hall of Fame.
Edwards is currently represented by United Agents
- Profile of Sally Edwards, Sacramento Business Journal; Danielle Starkey; May 2, 2003.
- High-tech snowshoes blaze new paths, San Francisco Chronicle; Paul Kilduff; Friday, December 30, 2005.
- 1999 Triathlon Hall of Fame Inductees
- Heart Zones(R) Partners - Sally Edwards
- Triathlon (1982), Fleet Feet Press
- Triathlon: A Triple Fitness Sport: The first complete guide to challenge you to a new total fitness (1982)
- The Woman Runner's Training Diary (1984)
- The Triathlon Training and Racing Book (1985)
- The Equilibrium Plan: Balancing Diet and Exercise for Lifetime Fitness (1987)
- Triathlons for Kids (1992)
- The Heart Rate Monitor Book (1992)
- Heart Rate Monitor Book (1993)
- Heart Zone Training: Exercise Smart, Stay Fit, and Live Longer (1996)
- Caterpillars to Butterflies by Triathletes (from the Danskin Women's Triathlon Series) (1997). Coauthored by Maggie Sullivan
- The Heart Rate Monitor Guidebook to Heart Zone Training (1999)
- The Heart Rate Monitor Log (2000)
- The Triathlon Log (2000)
- The Complete Book of Triathlons (2001)
- The Heart Rate Monitor Workbook for Indoor Cyclists (2001) co authored by Sally Reed
- The Heart Rate Monitor Book for Outdoor and Indoor Cyclists: A Heart Zone Training Program (2002) co authored by Sally Reed
- Triathlons for Women: Training Plans, Equipment, Nutrition (2002)
- Swaim, Deve; Sally Edwards (2002). Middle School Healthy Hearts in the Zone: Heart Rate Monitoring Program for Lifelong Fitness. Idaho: Human Kinetics Publishers. ISBN 0-7360-4176-1.
- Swaim, Deve; Sally Edwards High School Healthy Hearts in the Zone: A Heart Rate Monitoring Program for Lifelong Fitness. Idaho: Human Kinetics Publishers. ISBN 0-7360-4177-X.
- Edwards, Sally; Lorraine Brown fit AND fat: The 8-Week Heart Zones Program. Indianapolis, Indiana: Alpha Books. ISBN 0-02-864423-9.
- Rudd, Dan; Sally Edwards (2004). Health in a Heartbeat. Heart Zones. ISBN 0-9700130-5-1.
- Edwards, Sally; Sally Reed (2006). Heart Zones Cycling: The Avid Cyclist's Guide to Riding Faster and Farther. Boulder, Colorado: VeloPress. ISBN 1-931382-84-0.