This is a list of English language
words borrowed from the Swedish language
. Some may be from other Scandinavian languages
such as Danish
, or may come from Old Norse
when it was a single language.
- ångström, (after the Swedish scientist Anders Jonas Ångström)
- fartlek "speed-play", technique used in running
- gauntlet, (run the..., from Swedish gatlopp)
- glögg, (Swedish term for mulled wine)
- gravlax literally meaning "grave salmon", salmon preserved originally underground.
- lek, (from the Swedish "leka", "to play")
- lingonberry, from lingon
- sloid from slöjd
- smorgasbord (from the Swedish "smörgåsbord"), which in Swedish only refers to a buffet with very specific types of food
- tungsten literally "heavy stone", refers in Swedish to a mineral containing tungsten and not the metal itself