Sloane Square is a small hard-landscaped square on the boundaries of the fashionable London districts of Knightsbridge, Belgravia and Chelsea, located southwest of Charing Cross. The square is part of the Hans Town area designed in 1771 by Henry Holland Snr. and Henry Holland Jnr. Both the town and square were named after Sir Hans Sloane (1660–1753), whose heirs owned the land at the time.
The square lies at the east end of the trendy Kings Road and at the south end of the more conventionally smart Sloane Street linking to Knightsbridge. In the early 1980s, it lent its name to the "Sloane Rangers", the young underemployed, often snooty and ostentatiously well-off members of the upper classes. The Square has two notable buildings: Peter Jones department store and the Royal Court Theatre. The River Westbourne is carried over the tube station in a large iron pipe.
In early 2005 improvements to the square were proposed, involving a change to the road layout to make it more pedestrian friendly. One option was to create a central crossroads and two open spaces in front of Peter Jones and the Royal Court.
This option was put out to consultation, and the results in April 2007 showed that over 65% of respondents preferred a renovation of the existing square, so the crossroads plan has been shelved.
Near it, are the National Army Museum and Holy Trinity Sloane Street, the basilica-like parish church known as the "Cathedral of the Arts & Crafts Movement", built in 1890 a few yards from the square itself.