The Lodger are an indie pop band from Leeds, England, formed in 2004.
The Lodger formed in 2004, after Leeds label Dance to the Radio
offered to put out a single on the basis of demos that Ben Siddall recorded in his bedsit, the band name inspired by his accommodation. The initial line-up was Siddall on guitar and vocals with Lisa Harker on bass
and Katie James on drums
. After 3 sold-out limited 7s ("Many Thanks For Your Honest Opinion" on Dance to the Radio
, "Watching" on Double Dragon
, and "Let Her Go" on Angular Records
) and touring around the UK and Europe with bands such as The Long Blondes
and The Research
, the group released their debut album Grown-Ups
, produced by Alan Smyth
and James Ford
, in June 2007 on Angular Records
in the UK, Slumberland Records
in the US, Fabtone
in Japan and Speak N Spell
in Australia. By this time Harker and James had left the band, to be replaced by Joe Margetts and Bruce Renshaw.
Critical acclaim for the album followed, drawing comparisons with Orange Juice, The Wedding Present, and Heavenly,and it was rated at number 4 in This Is Fake DIY's Albums of 2007. The band have featured heavily on the elbo.ws charts since the release along with heavy rotation on US college radio and other stations worldwide. The album was voted as 62nd best of 2007 on www.amazon.com and 95th in Woxy.com's Top 97 of '07. The Lodger recently completed their first tour of the USA in late 2007 and then entered the studio to record their 2nd album in November. The 2nd album is titled Life Is Sweet and was released in May 2008, again to a positive critical reaction.
The Guardian described the band early on in their career: "Imagine a more bitter and twisted Housemartins, or early James".
- Ben Siddall: vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keyboards
- Joe Margetts: bass guitar
- Bruce Renshaw: the drums, percussion
- Timothy Corbridge: lap steel, 2nd guitar
- Grown-Ups (May 2007) (CD/LP/download album - released in various countries through Fabtone, Angular Recording Corporation, Noise Deluxe, Slumberland, Speak N Spell/Etch N Sketch)
- Life is sweet (May 2008) (CD/LP/album - released in various countries through Fabtone, Bad Sneakers Records, Noise Deluxe, Slumberland, Speak N Spell/Etch N Sketch)
- CD compilation - Dance to the Radio: Leeds featuring Unsatisfied (Dance to the Radio) April 2005
- CD compilation on front of Thee Humbug Issue 3 featuring Unsatisfied (Thee Sheffield Phonographic Corporation) September 2005
- CD compilation - What We All Want featuring You Got Me Wrong (Dance to the Radio) February 2006
- CD compilation - Blue Skies Up: Welcome to the New Pop Revolution featuring Not So Fast (Dogbox) May 2006
- CD compilation - Future Love Songs featuring Simply Left Behind (Angular Recording Corporation) Nov 2006
- CD compilation - On the Bone Vol 1 featuring Let's Make A Pact (On the Bone) Feb 2007