Sindi is a town in Pärnu County, Estonia with a population of 4049 as of 2006. It is located 14 kilometers from the county capital Pärnu.
In the area of Sindi was the Mesolithic
settlement of Pulli
, dating from around 8500 BC
- the oldest known settlement in Estonia. It was discovered by geologists in 1965. The settlement probably existed for a short period, as the area was later covered by water. As a swampy region, the area remained unpopulated until the 16th century.
The town's name is derived from Clauss Zindt, a mayor of Pärnu in 1565, who founded a manor (Zintenhof) where the town is now. The settlement was formed in 1833 around a textile factory owned by the manor. It officially became a borough in 1921 and a town in 1938.
Important to the town's development was the founding of a railway station 1928. The railway operated until 1970.
Sindi is located on the left bank of Pärnu River
, between the river and the wetland of Lanksaare.