(formed in 1982, in San Francisco) is an Industrial Bluegrass
/Noise conceptual art
Costume Rock band, dedicated to creating a fever dream of American psychedelia
- utilizing bluegrass music instruments, weird effects, other-worldly pageantry
, and day-glo
character outfits similar to those of a "Disneyland
ride with a Spike Jones and his City Slickers sense of individuality." For example, band member Puppy Whowoundup
built an actual spinning heliotrope animatic
cap that revolved on top of her head. Member The Brazen and Meticulous Pintle
sports a spinning Brittleback
wheel as a codpiece
for her stringed instrument.
Jamie Rake, in Sound Choice, described Caroliner's music succinctly:
- "Caroliner is the sound of atrophy, the noise of salvation and damnation's collision in a parallel dimension to purgatory, the random rumbling of the bowels of the universe turned inside out to become a semblance of music complete with lyrical vantage points so convolutedly arcane to make comprehending them impossible, save for the few gnostically inclined aspirants bent in similar psychic permutations."
According to the band, "Caroliner formed as a tribute band to the singing bull of the 1800s who had the same name. Influences include most and foremost The Skillet Lickers, Barrel Gordon Trio, and Dock Boggs, also making nods along the way to The Hoosier Hotshots, Spike Jones, Tiny Tim, and buckets of nails being kicked down the stairs. The Caroliner name stands alone (as seen on the cover of the organ based long play record "Toodoos"), to represent the band on most printed materials. The following "rainbow" word is only used when it is in conjunction with a line from Caroliner lyrics. The possibilities are endless: "Caroliner Rainbow Charlie Stink Creek", "Caroliner Rainbow Bowed Wart at the Turn", "Caroliner Rainbow Moth in the Waves", " Caroliner Rainbow Double Snap-Passion of Vaunted Elderly Fashion." Every 10 LPs results in a 'live' LP that sums up the next ten albums with some "songs in progress" between the live "hits"."
Doey Didduoghlbulch, a "Caroliner Rainbow Legs Tied Round the Ankles" member for the last 10 years, described the band as such:
- "We are a tribute band to Caroliner the Singing Bull of the 1800s. If we were singing something from the Dampton Lice Brother's hymn book we would figure out another name. If we did a modern fuzzy hullybaloo thing, like that music you hear in a showy window shoppe, that would be a band called Fuzzy Hullybaloo Thing."
Alex Ross of The New Yorker noted:
- "On top of the visual extravagance, Caroliner has somehow forged an original musical style. The songs typically fuse together a grinding, relentless bass line, country-ish banjo strummings, spastic vocals ranging across several octaves, a wheezing organ drone, and screeching violin tremolos. Despite the splintered aesthetic, a lumbering grandeur gathers ...... Space does not permit a description of the lyrics, which purport to interpret the prophecies of a 19th-century Wisconsin cow."
Successful tours of Europe and Japan resulted in "stick to your gums" USA tours. The band is reportedly awaiting the "building of a horticulture twist spindle farm of 1844" for the next tour that will "hopefully include face roulettes", and "fantastic new deformed sheep faced instrumentalists".
- (1986) Caroliner Rainbow Hernia Milk Queen - "Rear End Hernia Puppet Show" (Subterranean Records)
- (1990) Caroliner Rainbow Stewed Angel Skins - "I'm Armed With Quarts of Blood" (Subterranean Records)
- (1991) Caroliner Rainbow Open Wound Chorale - "Rise of the Common Woodpile" (Nuf Sed)
- (1992) Caroliner Rainbow Susans and Bruisins - "The Cooking Stove Beast" (Nuf Sed)
- (1992) Caroliner Rainbow Wire Thin Sheep Legs Baking Exhibit - "Strike Them Hard - Drag Them to Church" (Nuf Sed)
- (1993) Caroliner Rainbow Fingers of the Underworld & Their Unbreakable Bones - "The Sabre Waving Saracen Wall" (Nuf Sed)
- (1994) Caroliner Rainbow Scrambled Egg Taken For a Wife - "Banknotes, Dreams and Signatures" (Nuf Sed)
- (1995) Caroliner Rainbow Grace Blocks Used in the Placement of the Personality - "Rings on the Awkward Shadow" [double LP] (BullsHit)
- (1995) Caroliner Rainbow Customary Relaxation of the Shale - "Sell Heal Holler"(BullsHit)
- (1996) Caroliner Singing Bull of The 1800 Memorial Band "Our American Heritage, Vol. 1"'' [live recordings](BullsHit)
- (1998) Caroliner Rainbow Stand Still or Fight Beans and Sunstroke - "Lower Intestinal Clocks b/w Gut" (7" as a 12") (BullsHit)
- (1999) Caroliner -"Toodoos"(BullsHit)
- (2003) "Wine Can't Do It, Wife Won't Do!"[double LP] (BullsHit)
- (2004) "1800 An Instrumental Revue"(BullsHit)
- (2005) "Transcontinental Pinecone Collector"(BullsHit)
- (2006) "Smoke Tour For Lunation (7"as a 12"/Woodpatty Chickenclimber"(BullsHit)
- (1993) Caroliner - "Bead Trail to Jardunne" b/w "The Cooking Stove Beast" (Nuf Sed)
- (1993) Caroliner - "Legs Go, Mind Goes, Lungs Go" b/w "The Ballad of Hamdrags" (live) / River Wearing Children Limbs" (instrumental) (Vertical Records)
- (1994) (split) Caroliner Rainbow Tongue On The Fingermill of the Paste Demon - "Wrap Your Rattler, Bring Your Coat" or "The Bringing of Electricity to Monclova County" b/w Eeyore Ass Guzzler (a.k.a. Eeyore Power Tool) - "Broken Fence of the Battered and Buried"
- (1995)) (split) Caroliner / Culturcide (Birdman)
- (199?) (split) Caroliner Rainbow Gumcuppers - "Fixing and Mixing Cracked Skulls" b/w Commode Minstrels in Bullface - "Theme From the Destruction of the Turd Man" (P Tapes)