Shawinigan-Sud was incorporated as a village in 1912 and was called Almaville until 1948. It developed primarily as a residential hub for Shawinigan. Its status was upgraded from village to town in 1961.
In colloquial language, the older and lower section of Shawinigan-Sud, closer to Saint-Maurice River, is called Almaville en bas. The rest of the community, which is built on higher ground, is known as Almavile en haut.
Even though many of them are not church-goers, most residents of Shawinigan-Sud are Catholic. Four Catholic parishes exist on Shawinigan-Sud's territory. Those parishes are:
|Parish||Church Location||Year of Foundation||Number of Parishioners|
|Notre-Dame-de-la-Présentation (Our Lady of the Presentation)||825, 2e Avenue||1914||738|
|Sainte-Jeanne-d'Arc (Saint Joan of Arc)||1050, 5e Avenue||1923||2,750|
|Saint-Sauveur (Holy Savior)||615, 123e Rue||1947||5,695|
|Saint-André (Saint Andrew)||1795, 14e Avenue||1952||3,375|
The current church building of Notre-Dame-de-la-Présentation parish was completed in 1924. From 1942 to 1955, the structure was decorated with the artwork of painter Ozias Leduc and his assistant Gabrielle Messier.
Members of the Baptist community attend church at Église Évangélique Baptiste De Shawinigan-Sud, located at 2500, route Lamothe.
A Society of St. Pius X retreat house can be found at 905, Rang St-Mathieu Est. It has been active since 1951.
There are four public schools. All are under the supervision of the Commission scolaire de l'Énergie school board.
|School||Level||Location||Number of Students|
|École secondaire Val-Mauricie||Secondary||1200, rue Val-Mauricie||1,372|
|Saint-André (Saint Andrew)||Elementary||1350, 120e Rue||289|
|Saint-Georges (Saint George)||Elementary||975, 111e Rue||175|
|Saint-Paul (Saint Paul)||Elementary||750, 125e Rue||291|
From 1912 until 2002, Shawinigan-Sud had its own mayor. The mayors of Shawinigan-Sud were: