- For Shaoxing wine, see Shaoxing wine.
is a prefecture-level city
in northeastern Zhejiang province
, People's Republic of China
. Lying on the south bank of the Qiantang River
mouth, it borders Ningbo
to the east, Taizhou
to the southeast, Jinhua
to the southwest, and Hangzhou
to the west.
The prefecture-level city
of Shaoxing administers 1 district
, 3 county-level cities
and 2 counties
Modern-day Shaoxing sits on the site of the capital of the Spring and Autumn Period Kingdom of Yue
. Around the sixth century BC
, Yue had a sinicised ruling elite which fought a number of wars against its northern archrival Kingdom of Wu
Shaoxing became a subprefecture during the Ming and Qing dynasties. Under the Republic of China, it became a county. And under the People's Republic of China, it became a city.
Geography and climate
- Xishi, one of the renowned Four Beauties of ancient China. (Lived in Zhuji City)
- Wang Xizhi, (王羲之), 303–361, calligrapher
- Lu You (陸游), 1125-1210, poet and literati of the Southern Song period
- Xu Wei, (徐渭) 1521-1593, Ming dynasty painter
- Zhang Dai (张岱), 1597-1689, essayist and historian of the later Ming period.
- Cai Yuanpei, educator
- Ma Yinchu, educator (Shengzhou City)
- Liu Wenxi, painter (Shengzhou City)
- Shen Hang, industrial designer, sculptor, painter (Shengzhou City)
- Chen Yi, politician of Dongpu Town (東浦鎮), Shaoxing County
- Lu Xun (aka Zhou Shuren), writer
- Zhou Zuoren, writer and brother of Lu Xun
- Qiu Jin, female revolutionary
- Zhou Enlai, Communist party leader
- Lu Xun's residence is preserved near the middle of the city, and has become a tourist destination.
- East Lake (东湖) is a traditional scenic area just out of town.
- Shaoxing has the Tomb of Yu the Great (大禹陵).
- The Chinese rice wine (黃酒) is also known as Shaoxing wine (紹興酒) or simply Shao Wine (紹酒). The brewery takes the natural process with the "pure" water of Jianhu-Mirror Lake. It has a unique flavour and a reputation throughout the nation and internationally. It is used both as a liquor and in cooking, and as a solvent for Chinese herbal medicated ointment. The China Shaoxing Yellow Wine Group Corporation produces 110,000 tons annually for the domestic and overseas markets.