Shillai is a small town in District Sirmaur . Shillai is located on a south east facing hill at an elevation of 1,900 metres. The hill is called dhar shillai, and is 2,100 meters high. Shillai has a temperate climate, in Summer the maximum temperature ranges from 24 to 28 degrees Celsius, whereas Winter are very cold. The local language is Pahari.
Shillai is located on the ridge of a mountain at an altitude of 1796 m. Shillai is being developed since last 30 years. The average temperature ranges from 20° to 30°C in summer and 5° to 20° in winter and some times falls below zero.
Shillai is divided in to two regions: the Village Shillai (lower part) and the Shillai town (upper part). There is a greenbelt of a forest all around and inside the village, which is connected with town by road as well as padestrian roads.
Shillai is a constituency of Sirmour out of five constituencies. It is a part of riyasat SIRMOUR since 55 years ago. By geographic structure it is totally hilly rural area.
THARI DEVI (Thari Nani) is the oldest devi of Shillai village. PEER also the oldest DEVTA of Shillai belongs to BAGARDESH IN RAJASTHAN. The MAHASU MAHARAJ is located at Koti Village near Bali. Nearby DHARMIK STHAL is Chureshwar Maharaj and Srigul at Saharan. Newly founded Srigul Mandir is located at Girnal 5 km from Shillai.SRIGUL MANDIR AT NAYA 4KM FROM SHALLI.
Some other religious places are LOCATED AT THE AREA OF MAST BHOJ, SHIRGUL MANDIR AT JAMNA VILLAGE,PARSHU RAM MANDIR AT MASHU,AND KALI MANDIR AT MASHU. MANDIR OF SHIRGUL DEVTA AT VILLAGE '''JAMNA IS MOST FAMOUS RELIGIOUS PLACE OF THIS AREA.
- Shillai is connected by State Highway No. 1 with Poantta Sahib and Rohru and with Shimla via Sona, Rajgarh.
- Nearest Railway station is Dehradun.
- Nearest Airport is Dehradun and Chandigarh.
- A helipad is built at Shillai for Helicopter transportation near Naya Village 3 km away from Shillai.
- Kaffota is another station in between shillai and Paonta Sahib. A Road is connected with Uttranchal (which is now uttrakhand).
- Govt Degree Collage Shillai. College is situated at the top of the Shillai hill and presently under construction.
- Govt Senior Secondary School Shillai. The School was opened in 1970 and located at the lower part of Shillai town. The School building is a beautiful art of architecture . The School has more than 2000 students.
- Bal Bharti Public School. It is an English Medium School in Shillai .
- Star Public School is located at Kando Bhatnol .
- Govt.Priamary School Shillai is located in Shillai village . This School is the centre of other primary schools in this area.
- ICED Computer Education & Himachal Institute of Technology & Education Private Limited Hospital Road Shillai.Registrar of Companies, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, and Chandigarh.
- The Great Khali: His real name is Dalip Singh Rana. He is from shillai from Dharina village. Dalip Singh Rana, described as, inter alia, the man with strong muscles, extraordinary height and long flowing locks has been eliminating all those blocking his way in the world wrestling arena. April 7, 2006, was a memorable day not just for Dalip Singh but also for all those Indians who are crazy about wrestling, because the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) launched the ’Great Khali’ in the arena of ‘Smack Down’. On the first day, he choked the Undertaker and thus warned all the wrestlers of WWE. After that he challenged many other wrestlers like Rey Mysterio, Batista, Umaga, Shawn Michaels, Edge, Randy Orton and many others in the ring.