It is the oldest pub in the town, being established in 1428. The pub is located on Golden Cross Passage , a passage between High Street and Princess Street in the town centre of Shrewsbury.
The pub was known, many centuries ago, as the "Sextry" (so called because it was originally the sacristy of St Chad's Church) and Golden Cross Passage was known as "Sextry Shut".
Today it is chiefly a hotel and restaurant, but still serves drinks at the bar like a pub. Cask ales are available, including ales from local breweries. The ground floor is separated in two by the bar, with the lounge on the Princess Street side and the dining room on the High Street end. There was until recently a dress code in the lounge.