stone) is a suburb
district within the city boundary of Cardiff
and located approximately five miles north of the city centre.
The village has long been considered to be one of the more affluent and desirable districts of Cardiff, and Wales. A Lisvane postcode is much sought after with house prices traditionally higher than most other areas of the city.
Lisvane has approximately 3,300 residents and comprises approximately 1,700 dwellings, a local village shop, a primary school, a community cabin library, a park, a nursery, a parish church, a war memorial, a Scout hall and community or village hall.
The Welsh language
name Llysfaen, or Llys Faen means ‘Stone Court’ (llys – court and faen/maen – stone). There have been several alternative spellings over the centuries such as: Lysvayen, Lucyvene, Llisuine, Lyssefayn, Lysfayn, Lucyvine, Lucyvenye, Lucyveny, Leysvayen, Les Ffayne, Lliffeni. The village probably settled on the present name form around 1630.
Each early Welsh kingdom was divided into lesser administrative units, Cantrefs
, which were further subdivided into Cymydau (commotes
). In each commote the royal taxation house was a large building made almost certainly of stone because it had to be permanent, weather proof and thief proof. The commote of Cibbwr/Kibbor was on land between Cefn Onn ridge and the coast and most historians agree that Llysfaen was its administrative centre, however Roath
has also staked a claim. There is now no indication of the actual whereabouts of the Llys Faen or Stone Court, although various theories have been advanced.
The earthworks at Graig Llwyn is held to be the oldest man-made feature in Lisvane, proposed by several archeologists to be the remains of an Iron Age stronghold. Unfortunately no definite date or purpose can yet be confirmed for this earthwork.
At the start of the 13th century the parish lands of Llanishen and Lisvane had been divided into Norman manors that were expected to provide food for the castle garrisoned at Cardiff. The southern facing slopes of the ridge above Lisvane with their rich agricultural land soon became the grain growing area for the supplies which were transported to Roath Mill for processing.
There is a persisting local oral legend that the Cromwell family once lived briefly in the Black Griffin Inn, and also that Oliver Cromwell stayed there prior to the Battle of St Fagans in May 1648. There is no actual evidence to support this although it is feasible and he must have lodged somewhere, but it is more likely that the Inn’s only Cromwellian association is with soldiers of Cromwell’s Model army.
The Ty Mawr
The farmhouse, on the Graig slope overlooking the village, was included in the estate of the Lewis family. In 1900 part of the estate was let to Lisvane Golf Club, who established a 9-hole course there but two years later, the club moved to Radyr
, taking the clubhouse with them. From just after the Second World War
, the fox hounds
of the local Lisvane Hunt were kennelled at Ty Mawr until it became a public house
in the 1960s.
The Llanishen and Lisvane Hunt had several homes over the years with the hunts most latterly setting off from Llan Farm on Graig Llwyn Road. The village hunt disbanded around 1997 on the death of the then hunt Master, thereby anticipating the ban on fox hunting by nearly a decade.
There is a local tradition that for a period during the 1800s, Erw-wen, on Rudry Road, was also a pub or beer house, possibly called the Red Cow, although no documentary proof has yet been found.
Church in Lisvane seems to have had a history of building churches that do not last very well or are poorly maintained. Unlike the Norman parish church of St Denys that has stood for over seven hundred years, the first Baptist
Chapel in Lisvane was built in 1789 on Chapel Road, now renamed Rudry Road, and only stood for less than thirty years until it had to be rebuilt during 1818. Less than forty years later the foundations of the second church were becoming unsafe and a third chapel was constructed, but by 1910 further renovations and repairs were necessary as it had become dilapidated. Just a hundred years later the Methodist congregation no longer supports a separate chapel building and now holds its weekly services in the Memorial Hall.
Lisvane and the Cold War
A few yards away from the Ordnance Survey
's triangulation point
on the Graig stands Lisvane’s only cold war nuclear bunker
. During World War II
the Royal Observer Corps
(ROC) observation post stood on the Graig with its clear views over the village and the city of Cardiff. The volunteer ROC observers spotted many German Luftwaffe
raids approaching across the channel and activated the air raid warnings in the Cardiff area. In early 1966 a protected nuclear fallout shelter
(or bunker) was completed on the site for the ROC (OS Grid Ref: ST 1898 8508)
, who by the 1960s had switched from above ground aircraft spotting to underground operations with instruments to detect nuclear explosions and warn the public of approaching radioactive fallout in the event of nuclear war
The only time post members had been mobilised and volunteers spent nearly ten days underground was during the Cuban Missile Crisis as the government prepared the country for potential outbreak of war. The Lisvane nuclear bunker was abandoned by the ROC in 1991 when the Corps itself was disbanded with the end of the Cold War and as a result of recommendations in the governments Options for Change review of UK defence. The Lisvane nuclear bunker still exists but it was purchased by a mobile phone communications company who built a radio mast inside the fenced compound and sited some of their equipment in the underground facility.
The village has an elected community council
with ten elected members (Labour Party
), currently chaired by Jane Stone.
The Welsh Assembly
member for Cardiff North is Jonathan Morgan.
The electoral ward
of Lisvane falls within the parliamentary constituency of Cardiff North
- The current MP is Julie Morgan (Labour).
The ward is bounded by those of Caerphilly county borough to the north; Pontprennau & Old St. Mellons to the east; Pentwyn to the southeast; Llanishen and Cyncoed to the south; and Rhiwbina to the west.
The surrounding soils
are mostly a strong, brown, dry earth, well adapted for arable farming and the growing of grains of all kinds that contributed to the area being a mostly farming community until the modern era. Soils were further enriched over the millennia by alluvial deposits
from the meandering River Taff and other smaller tributaries. The substratum under the whole area is a limestone
and lime shale that was likely laid down under a warm ocean at some stage in the distant past and subsequently ground down by glaciers
during the last ice age
around 18,000 years ago.
The neighbouring suburbs
to the south, Thornhill to the west and Lisvane's effective northern border is the M4 motorway
. The M4 corridor around Cardiff was announced in 1971 as a replacement for a northern link road that had been on the statutes since 1947 but never built. The northern 'Lisvane route' for the M4 was eventually chosen after a number of noisy public enquiries and active objections from village residents. The new motorway was completed and opened in July 1980.
The Graig Hill is situated north of Lisvane. It borders on Caerphilly
. There is also a quarry near the Graig which is now abandoned. The Rhymney Valley Ridgeway Walk
runs along the top of the Graig, and has some very good walks and mountain biking
routes. Particular favourites for locals include routes to the east to Rudry
and the Maenllwyd Inn, and to the west to Caerphilly mountain
, The Travellers Rest, and further on to Tongwynlais
, Castell Coch
and the Taff Trail
The United Kingdom Census 2001 demographically
showed that the total population
of Lisvane was 3,320 which represented a seventy eight percent increase since 1971 but down by 30 since the previous 1991 Census
. The average age was 42.3 years old and 66% of the adult population were married.
Of the 3,320 total, children under the age of 19 accounted for 711 and people over the age of sixty five totalled 877.
Only 1,515 were in full time employment and 188 of those worked exclusively from home. Of those that travelled to their place of employment 1,090 drove by private car, 74 travelled by train and 43 by bus, 34 walked, 9 cycled and 77 travelled as passengers in other vehicles.
The white population accounted for 95.5% (3,158) of the residents and of the remainder 2.4% (77) were Asian, 1.23% (39) Chinese, 0.8% (25) were of mixed race and only 0.07% (21) were Black.
There are little in the way of major employers in the village. The area still has a predominantly farming economy. Some local employment is provided by the service industries of the shops and public houses. The general affluence in the village is mainly drawn from employment in the commerce and industry centre of the capital city. An increasing number of employees are working from home via high speed internet links and telephone
Following improvements in the road and rail infrastructure some Lisvane residents even commute daily to work in Bristol and London.
- Cefn Onn Country Park
- The war memorial
- St Denys Church
- Graig Llwyn earthworks
- The Graig Mountain
There is no secondary school
within Lisvane and school age residents fall into the catchment area for Llanishen High School
in the neighbouring district.
Llysfaen Primary School
serves the local population of 4-11 year olds.
Lisvane has two active churches that meet for a range of weekly services in the village:
Originally built in the 14th century and remodelled several times since, St Denys Church is an Anglican church which holds both traditional liturgical and modern services. The congregation meets in the Listed Church Building, which is notable for the imposing and unusual tower with a pitched roof but lacking the normal Norman castellations, located just opposite the Black Griffin Pub in the centre of the village.
Lisvane Baptist church meets in the Memorial Hall on Heol-y-Delyn road.
The churches hold a joint evening service together on those months which have 5th Sunday in them.
On a historical note Howell Harris, one of the most famous pioneer Calvinistic Methodist ministers, preached regularly during meetings held at several private houses in Lisvane between 1766 - 1769, just before his death.
Sports and recreation
club was formed in 1979.
Lisvane Panthers Junior Football (soccer) Club fields sides in the under 8 Mini league, the Juniors at 11 - under16 and an over 16 youth team.
Lisvane Tennis Club is located just north of Lisvane and Thornhill railway station and is the tennis section of the Cardiff Athletic Club.
The nearest rugby union team is in nearby Llanishen.
Public services and village facilities
The area is served by Lisvane and Thornhill railway station with services northbound to Rhymney and southbound to Cardiff Central via Cardiff Queen Street.
Cardiff Bus operates services 27 (Thornhill/Birchgrove/Heath/Cathays), 28 (Llanishen/Roath), 85 (Thornhill/Heath), 85A (Heath) and 86 (Llanishen/Heath/Gabalfa/Cathays) from Cardiff central bus station through the area.
There are two pubs in Lisvane; the Ty Mawr and the Black Griffin, named after the Tredegar House Morgan family's arms that featured a gryphon, sable, segreant, and only recently returned to its traditional name having been called simply The Griffin for many years. There is a third pub called The Old Cottage just across the railway line that divides Thornhill and Lisvane. This pub is usually frequented by both Thornhill and Lisvane residents living nearby. The Old Cottage does however stand just within the official boundary line of the Lisvane Community Council.
Just a kilometre from the centre of the village is Parc Cefn Onn or Cefn Onn Country Park an extensive mixed species arboretum, with lakes and woodland walks. The park was laid out around ninety years ago and planted by the railway manager who lived in a large estate near Cefn Onn Halt, at the time Lisvane's tiny "request only" and underused railway station, that closed in 1985 when it was replaced by the current modern railway station closer to the village. Cefn Onn Halt stood a hundred metres away from the railway tunnel that vanishes under Llanishen Golf Club and Caerphilly mountain.
Notable people with Lisvane connections
(born 15 April 1944 in Cardiff) - the successful Welsh recording artist, popular singer, rock guitarist and high profile record producer lived in the village with his family during the 1970s and early 1980s.
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - resided in Lisvane during his successful stint with Cardiff City FC during the 2007/8 season.