There were 687 households out of which 32.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.2% were married couples living together, 7.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.8% were non-families. 22.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the town the population was spread out with 27.1% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 25.4% from 45 to 64, and 13.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 102.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $37,639, and the median income for a family was $41,680. Males had a median income of $28,150 versus $22,315 for females. The per capita income for the town was $18,113. About 7.0% of families and 9.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.7% of those under age 18 and 9.4% of those age 65 or over.
The Town of Hebron was formed 23 March 1786 and takes its name from Hebron, Connecticut. Hebron was first known as the district of Black Creek. Parcels of land, called patents, given by the King of England who to soldiers who served in the French War. Few soldiers actually settled in the area, and most of the land came into possession of land speculators who sold parcels to New England and Scotch-Irish settlers for farming. Some of the patents that form the town are Blundell and Sheriff. Originals of these patents are in the National Archives.
State Route 22 is the main road on the east side. State Route 22 began as The Great Northern Turnpike, chartered in 1799. There are two mileposts markers remaining in the town, one at 7047 State Route 22, the second just north of Chamberlin Mills Road. A third is just south of the town line with Salem, New York. The east side of the Town of Hebron is the New York/Vermont Border. Hebron is located near the center of the two states north south border.
A peddlers wagon belonging to L. L. Brown (Lorenzo Levi) is in the wagon collection of the Museum of Long Island at Stony Brook.
The Hebron Volunteer Fire Company First Response Team provides emergency medical services to the town. These firefighters/ EMT's respond to medical and trauma related calls. All first responders are currently licensed as EMT's by the State of New York.
The fire company holds monthly dinners, provides tent and chair rentals, pool fills and has an annual action as fund raisers.
The mailing address is: Hebron Preservation Society, PO Box 328, Salem, NY 12865.
The Beauty of Hebron Potato variety was promoted by a local seedsman, Edward L. Coy (E.L. Coy). Both Mr. Coy and Mrs. Rachel Campbell of Old Castle Green Road in Hebron took credit for the discovery. The Beauty of Hebron was as the result a naturally fertilized seedling of Garnet Chili. The earliest published reference to the introduction of the Beauty of Hebron is 1876 at an Annual Agricultural Society Meeting in Marblehead, MA. The Beauty of Hebron Potato was introduced by the USDA (Department of Agriculture) to growers in 26 states for tests in 1877. Various major seed companies of the time claimed credit for its commercial introduction. These were J. M. Thornburn of New York City, JJH Gregory of Marblehead, MA, and Peter Henderson of New Jersey.
In 1879 Mr. Coy shipped "Hebron Beauties" to London. The Beauty of Hebron was one of the varieties that restocked the British Isles after the Irish Potato Famine. It spread through out the British Empire to localities such as New Zealand and New Caledonia. It also was a favorite of market and home gardeners in the United States at the turn of the century. In 1946, the USDA was unaware of any commercial production in the United States, however the 1959 Potato Variety Handbook of the American Potato Association lists and describes the Beauty of Hebron. It is believed that most current tissue culture stocks and tubers came from Elmer Hansen of Alberta whom in 1988 provided seed to Will Bownall and Seedsavers.org.
The Beauty of Hebron is listed on the RAFT list of Threatened American Foods. The Beauty of Hebron is maintained at the Canadian Potato Research Center in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, The University of North Dakota Potato Breeding Program, and with a commercial breeder. At the date of this article, 2008, it is unknown if the Beauty of Hebron is in commercial production. Thanks to the efforts of Sally Brillion of the Hebron Preservation Society, the Beauty of Hebron Potato began to be grown by Amateur gardeners in 2006.
Edward L. Coy was born on April 4, 1831, and was for 18 years a breeder of Ayrshire cattle; and for 13 years paid attention to the Holstein-Friesian breed; he also originated 18 varieties of the potato, all of which became standard in some section.
He raised more than a half million pounds of cucumber seed, and for two years the Department of Agriculture employed him to establish the type of the 250 varieties of the cucumber that were tested. His farm was on Route 31 in Hebron.
Mr. E. L. Coy initiated the seed industry in Hebron in the 1850s. The 1875 Census notes that he raised 500 pounds of garden seed. He played a major role in the development of the Golden Bantam sweet corn variety. This was the first major yellow sweet corn variety; prior to the Golden Bantam, yellow corn was felt to be livestock feed. White corn was considered the be the corn for human consumption.