According to the BBC website a few hundred years later, it appears that the Men of Kent resisted William the Conqueror more stoutly than the Kentish Men, who weakly surrendered.
Today there is still an element of rivalry between the two, which completely disappears during the harvest season, when the Men of Kent invite the Kentish Men to the "Garden of England" to help gather in the crops.
East Kent had its own Quarter Sessions based in Canterbury until 1814, when the administrations of East and West Kent were merged. East Kent, which corresponded roughly to the Diocese of Canterbury, consisted of the three lathes: Lathe of St Augustine, Lathe of Shepway and the upper division of the Lathe of Scray.
Places in East Kent include