St Andrews is a small town northeast of Melbourne, the capital city of Victoria, Australia, between Hurstbridge and Kinglake. Its Local Government Area is the Shire of Nillumbik. At the 2001 census, St Andrews had a population of 388.
St Andrews is well known for its alternative market which is open every Saturday from 8am to 2pm. It also contains a school, bakery, CFA and community centre.
Originally called Queenstown, the town was surveyed in 1858
and proclaimed a town on 25th February 1861
. It experienced population growth during the Victorian gold rush
mined the hills around the town. The first discovery of gold
in Queenstown was recorded in The Herald
on 9th and 11th March 1855
and was attributed to a George Boston
and two Scotchmen.