Phoenix from the Flames was a regular feature on the BBC/ITV show Fantasy Football League, which involved presenters David Baddiel and Frank Skinner recreating a famous moment from footballing history with one of the people involved at the time.
Up the last episode of the programme, on July 3, 2004, the number of recreations had reached 84.
Series 1 (1994)
- 1. Geoff Hurst's controversial second goal for England in the 1966 FIFA World Cup Final against West Germany on July 30, 1966.
- 2. Jeff Astle's controversial goal for West Bromwich Albion in Football League First Division game against Leeds United on April 17, 1971
- 3. Eddie Kavagnah invading the pitch during the 1966 FA Cup Final between Everton and Sheffield Wednesday on May 7, 1966
- 5. Clive Thomas disallowing a last-minute goal by Zico for Brazil against Sweden in the 1978 FIFA World Cup on June 3, 1978
- 6. Gordon Banks' save from Brazil forward Pelé's header in 1970 FIFA World Cup game against England on June 7, 1970
- 9. Ian Hutchinson's throw-in leading to David Webb's winning goal for Chelsea in the 1970 FA Cup Final replay on April 29, 1970
- 10. George Best's disallowed goal for Northern Ireland in 1971 British Home Championship match against England on May 15, 1971
- 11. Clive Allen hitting the stantion for Crystal Palace in Football League First Division game against Coventry City on September 6, 1980
- 14. Alan Sunderland winning goal for Arsenal against Manchester United in 1979 FA Cup Final on May 12, 1979
- 15. Tommy Gemmell kicking Helmut Haller in Scotland 1970 FIFA World Cup qualifier against West Germany on October 22, 1969.
- 19. Trevor Brooking's winning goal for West Ham United against Arsenal in the 1980 FA Cup Final on May 10, 1980
- 20. Alan Hansen's defensive error to let Gary Lineker score for Everton in 1986 FA Cup Final against Liverpool on May 10, 1986
- 21. Jack Taylor giving early penalty for Holland against West Germany in 1974 FIFA World Cup Final on July 7, 1974
Series 2 (1994/1995)
- 23. Alexi Lalas's goal for USA against England in US Cup match on June 9, 1993
- 25. Jan Tomaszewski's goalkeeping heroics for Poland against England in 1974 FIFA World Cup qualifier on October 17, 1973
- 27. Ronald Koeman fouling David Platt in Holland 1994 FIFA World Cup qualifier against England on October 13, 1993
- 28. Hallvar Thoresen scoring the winner for Norway against England in 1982 FIFA World Cup qualifier on September 9, 1981
- 29. Dennis Wise scoring for England against Turkey in 1992 UEFA European Championship qualifier on May 1, 1991
- 30. Malcolm Macdonald's five goals for England against Cyprus in 1976 UEFA European Championship qualifier on April 16, 1975 / appearances on BBC Superstars programme
- 31. Ricardo Villa's goal for Tottenham Hotspur against Manchester City in the 1981 FA Cup Final replay on May 14, 1981
- 32. Ken Aston refereeing the 'Battle of Santiago' - the controversial 1962 FIFA World Cup match game between Chile and Italy on June 2, 1962
- 33. Alain Giresse's disallowed goal for France in the 1982 World Cup match against Kuwait on June 21, 1982
- 34. Yordan Letchkov's goal for Bulgaria in 1994 FIFA World Cup quarter-final against Germany on July 10, 1994
- 35. Teófilo Cubillas first goal for Peru against Scotland in 1978 FIFA World Cup match on July 3, 1978
- 36. Dino Baggio's goal for Italy against Norway in 1994 FIFA World Cup match on June 23, 1994
- 37. Antonio Rattín's sending off for Argentina in 1966 FIFA World Cup quarter-final against England on July 23, 1966
- 38. Gary Lineker's substitution for England against Sweden in UEFA Euro 1992 match on June 17, 1992
Series 3 (1995/1996)
European Fantasy Football League (1996)
Fantasy World Cup (1998)
- 53. Terry Butcher's head wound during England's FIFA 1990 World Cup qualifier against against Sweden on September 6, 1989
- 54. Ilunga Mwepu kicking away a Brazil free-kick for Zaire in 1974 FIFA World Cup match on June 22, 1974
- 55. Roger Milla reenacting 1990 ITV National Power advert starring Peter Purves
- 56. Bryan Robson scoring quickest World Cup goal for England against France in 1982 FIFA World Cup on June 16, 1982
- 57. Archie Gemmill's second goal for Scotland against Holland in 1978 FIFA World Cup match on June 11, 1978
- 58. Patrick Battiston injury during France v West Germany 1982 FIFA World Cup semi-final on July 8, 1982
- 59. Eusébio's four goals for Portugal against North Korea in 1966 FIFA World Cup quarter-final on July 23, 1966
- 60. Pedro Monzón becoming the first player ever sent off in a FIFA World Cup final for Argentina against West Germany in 1990 FIFA World Cup Final on July 8, 1990
- 61. Scottish international Willie Johnston getting caught taking drugs during 1978 FIFA World Cup
- 62. Manuel Negrete Arias scoring for Mexico against Bulgaria in 1986 FIFA World Cup second round match on June 15, 1986
- 63. Ivo Viktor facing Pelé shot from half-way line for Czechoslovakia against Brazil in 1970 FIFA World Cup match on June 3, 1970
- 65. Jairzinho's goal for Brazil against England in 1970 FIFA World Cup match on June 7, 1970
- 66. Just Fontaine's scoring thirteen goals for France during 1958 FIFA World Cup
- 67. Ramón Quiroga's booking whilst in goal for Peru against Poland in 1978 FIFA World Cup second group round on June 18, 1978
- 68. Mrs Loveday-King winning the final of the ladies' darts against Jessie Catterick on ITV 1970s programme Indoor League
Fantasy Football Euro 2004
The Loveday-King sketch (No. 68) of Fantasy World Cup was broadcast in the final programme of that series. When Fantasy Euro 2004 started, the first sketch involving David Seaman had the caption "72" on it, and all following sketches went on from that. It's unclear whether more sketches were broadcast in the years before, or if the makers of the programme simply got their figures wrong.
- 72. David Seaman's penalty save for England against Scotland in UEFA Euro 1996 match on June 15, 1996
- 73. Paul Parker's deflection on West Germany's goal in 1990 FIFA World Cup semi-final against England on July 4, 1990
- 74. Johan Neeskens scoring quickest ever qoal in a FIFA World Cup final for Holland against West Germany in 1974 FIFA World Cup final on July 7, 1974
- 75. Peter Beardsley's four goals for England in friendly against Aylesbury United on June 4, 1988.
- 76. Jimmy Greaves catching a dog on the pitch in England's 1962 FIFA World Cup quarter-final against Brazil on June 10, 1962
- 77. Walter Bahr's role in United States goal in 1950 FIFA World Cup win against England on June 19, 1950
- 78. Steve Morrow breaking his arm during celebrations after Arsenal's 1993 League Cup final win against Sheffield Wednesday on April 18, 1993
- 79. Matthew Le Tissier second goal for Southampton against Newcastle United in Premier League match on October 24, 1993
- 80. Nayim's extra-time winner for Real Zaragoza in UEFA Cup Winners' Cup final against Arsenal on May 10, 1995
- 81. Ray Houghton's winner for Republic of Ireland in UEFA Euro 1988 match against England on June 12, 1988
- 82. Luther Blissett's goal for England in UEFA Euro 1984 qualifier against Luxembourg on December 15, 1982
- 83. Martin Peters' goal for England in the 1966 FIFA World Cup Final against West Germany on July 30, 1966.
- 84. Abel Xavier conceding penalty for Portugal against France UEFA Euro 2000 semi-final on June 28, 2000
The following have all been the subject of Phoenixes but the numbers in what they appeared are not known by this author.
Fantasy Football Video
A sketch in this made-for-video special involved a NASA astronaut entering David and Frank's flat asking for fourteen Phoenix's to make up part of a football time capsule to shoot into space to educate extra-terrestial life forms of the game. After finding only thirteen (numbers 1, 5, 9, 2, 14, 21, 3, 10, 6, 19, 11, 15 and 20, in that order) the astronaut revealed himself to be Dave Beasant - they then went on to recreate his penalty save for Wimbledon against Liverpool in the 1988 FA Cup Final on May 14, 1988
The 1996 promo video for Baddiel and Skinner's song Three Lions featured mini Phoenixes with members of the England Euro 96 squad, re-enacting great England moments from the past.