Fresno Municipal Sanitary Landfill, also known as Fresno Sanitary Landfill, opened in 1935 in Fresno, California, was the first modern landfill in the U.S., pioneering the use of trenching, compacting, and daily burial to combat rodent and debris problems. It became a model for other landfills around the country, and one of the longest-lived. The landfill was operated by
The City of Fresno, California until it closed in 1989. At that time, the landfill had reached the size of 145 acres.
In 1983, the California Department of Health Services was conducting tests and found that the site contained methane and vinyl chloride gases that were penetrating into the surrounding areas around the landfill. These tests also concluded that contaminants were being found in private ground-water wells around the landfill. On June 24
, the site was proposed as a superfund
site and was finalized on the NPL list on October 10
National Historic Landmark
It was declared a National Historic Landmark
It is located at West Avenue and Jensen Avenue in Fresno.