is a footwear
and foot care
brand manufactured by Schering-Plough
and Brown Shoe Company
The company was founded by William Mathias Scholl, who was born in 1882 and graduated from Illinois Medical School in 1904, thereby becoming a doctor (podiatrist). Scholl and his company invented a number of foot care products, which he marketed with his company after 1906. These include the Foot Eazer, the Zino Pad, rubberless stockings, Foot Wings arch supports, and Ball-O-Foot Cushions. The first company retail store was opened in 1928. William M. Scholl passed away in 1968 at the age of 86, leaving the company to his nephews, William H. Scholl (1920-2002) and Jack E. Scholl (1926-2006). The company had an initial public offering in 1971.
The Dr. Scholls brand covers the North America region however the Scholl Brand globally is owned by SSL International who manufacture Footwear and Foot care products that are distributed under the Scholl brand.
The Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine is located at Rosalind Franklin University in North Chicago, Illinois, and was established in 1912 by William Scholl. It is unaffiliated with Schering-Plough.
- 1882 William Mathias Scholl is born.
- 1900 Scholl enrolls in Illinois Medical School (now Loyola University).
- 1903 Scholl invents his first product, the “Foot Eazer.”
- 1904 Scholl graduates from medical school to become Dr. Scholl.
- 1906 Dr. Scholl incorporates his own business, The Scholl Manufacturing Company, in Illinois.
- 1907 Absorbo (corn) pads invented.
- 1909 Dr. Scholl starts a correspondence course for shoe-fitters.
- 1910 Brother F.J. Scholl joins the ranks and expands business to Canada.
- 1911 Dr. Scholl's opens retail business in London, which is a landmark for 47 years.
- 1912 Dr. Scholl founds Illinois College of Chiropody and Orthopedics (now Illinois College of Podiatric Medicine).
- 1918 The first mass-produced corn pad, “Zino-Pad,” is invented.
- 1928 Dr. Scholl's first American retail shop is opened.
- 1930 Dr. Scholl's introduces a line of shoes.
- 1936 Dr. Scholl's “Rubberless” soft support stockings are introduced.
- 1937 Dr. Scholl's shops open in Alexandria and Cairo, Palestine.
- 1939 Dr. Scholl's represented in every country in Europe, the Near East and Australia.
- 1940 Introduction of Foot Wings plastic arch supports and Ball-O-Foot Cushions foam rubber shock-prevention device.
- 1951 Air-Pillo insoles are added to Dr. Scholl's line.
- 1952 The famous blue and yellow Dr. Scholl's showcase is built.
- 1960 A 100,000-sq.-ft. addition is added to the headquarters in Chicago, increasing facility by 30 percent.
- 1965 Eastern offices constructed in New Jersey.
- 1968 Dr. Scholl's exercise sandals hit the shelves.
- 1970 Factory opens in Kentucky to produce women's shoes.
- 1971 Dr. Scholl's “goes public.”
- 1972 One million sandals sold in the United States.
- 1973 Lotions and moisturizers added to the footcare line.
- 1996 Dr. Scholl's introduces gel insoles.
- 1997 DynaStep® inserts introduced as an innovative and clinically proven solution for movement-related lower body pain.
- 1998 Pedicure Essentials® pampering product line expands.
- 1999 Dr. Scholl's launches Massaging Gel Insoles.
- 2000 Dr. Scholl's further expands its high-performance insole line with the launch of Dr. Scholl's Advantage® Sport & Advantage® Work Insoles.
- 2001 Dr. Scholl's launches Extra Support Insoles (designed to address extra weight or pressure) and StepWell Insoles (designed for arthritis and diabetes sufferers).
- 2002 Dr. Scholl's Advantage Powerwalk™ Insoles are introduced to provide ultimate walking comfort.
- 2003 Dr. Scholl's Tri-Comfort® Orthotics and Dr. Scholl's Advantage® Comfort Insoles are introduced.
- 2004 Dr. Scholl's Massaging Touch® Insoles are introduced.
- 2005 Dr. Scholl's Memory Fit® Customizing Insoles, Dr. Scholl's Memory Fit Work® Customizing Insoles, Dr. Scholl's Sport Replacement Insoles, Dr. Scholl's For Her Open Shoe® Insoles are introduced.
- 2006 Dr. Scholl's Heel Pain Relief Orthotics introduced. Expanded For Her line to include For Her Comfort Insoles and For Her Ball of Foot Cushions.
- 2007 Dr. Scholl's launches For Her Sole Expressions™, For Her Heel Liner and other grooming products. Back Pain Relief Orthotics and Arch Pain Relief Orthotics introduced. Launch of improved Massaging Gel Insoles, which delivers superior comfort.
- 2008 Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit Orthotics introduced.