The Royal Pavilion is a former royal residence located in Brighton, England. It was built in the early 19th Century as a seaside retreat for the then Prince Regent. It is often referred to as the Brighton Pavilion. It is built in the Indo-Saracenic style prevalent in India for most of the 19th Century.
Henry Holland was soon employed to enlarge the building. The Prince also purchased land surrounding the property, on which a grand riding school and stables were built in an Indian style in 1803, to designs by William Porden.
Between 1815 and 1822 the designer John Nash redesigned the palace, and it is the work of Nash which can be seen today. The palace looks rather striking in the middle of Brighton, having a very Indian appearance on the outside. However, the fanciful interior design, primarily by Frederick Crace and Robert Jones, is heavily influenced by both Chinese and Indian fashion (with Mughal and Islamic architectural elements). It is a prime example of the exoticism that was an alternative to more classicising mainstream taste in the Regency style.
The Pavilion and its grounds served as one of the settings for the 1970 film On a Clear Day You Can See Forever.
The Pavilion is open to visitors and is also made available for education purposes, banqueting, and weddings. The admission fee is reduced for local residents in the winter.