Theodore Roszak is professor emeritus of history at California State University, East Bay. He is best known for his 1968 text, The Making of a Counter Culture.
Roszak received his B.A. from UCLA
and Ph.D. in History from Princeton University
. He taught at Stanford University
, the University of British Columbia
, and San Francisco State University
before joining CalState East Bay (formerly CalState Hayward).
Roszak "first came to public prominence in 1968, with the publication of his The Making of a Counter Culture
which chronicled and gave explanation to the European and North American counterculture of the 1960s
Other books include include Longevity Revolution: As Boomers Become Elders, The Voice of the Earth (Touchstone Books), The Cult of Information, The Gendered Atom: Reflections on the Sexual Psychology of Science, The Voice of the Earth, and Ecopsychology: Healing the Mind, Restoring the Earth. With his wife Betty, he is co-editor of the anthology Masculine/Feminine: Essays on Sexual Mythology and the Liberation of Women.
His fiction includes Flicker (Simon and Schuster and Bantam Books) and the award-winning Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein (Random House and Bantam Books). His most recent novel, published in 2003, is The Devil and Daniel Silverman.
Awards and honors
- The Dissenting Academy (1968)
- The Making of a Counter Culture (1968)
- Masculine/Feminine: Readings in Sexual Mythology and the Liberation of Women (1969)
- Where the Wasteland Ends (1972)
- Sources (1972)
- Unfinished Animal: The Aquarian Frontier and the Evolution of Consciousness (1975)
- Person/Planet: The Creative Disintegration of Industrial Society (1979)
- From Satori to Silicon Valley'' (1986)
- The Cult of Information (1986)
- Fool's Cycle/Full Cycle (1988). ISBN 0-931191-07-6.
- The Voice of the Earth (1992)
- The Gendered Atom
- Kanner, Roszak, & Gomes. Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth, Healing the Mind. (1995, ISBN 0-87156-406-8)
- World Beware! American Triumphalism in an Age of Terror (2006, ISBN 1-897071-02-7)
- Pontifex (1974)
- Bugs (1981)
- Flicker (1991)
- The Devil and Daniel Silverman (2003)
- The Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein