The Malvern Roller Mill, also known as Appel Mill and Malvern Milling Company, is a 19th century grist mill located near the unincorporated village of Malvern, Illinois, in rural Whiteside County, north of Morrison, Illinois, United States. The original mill on the site, built by 1853, was destroyed by a flood and the present mill was erected in 1858. The mill's first owner was William P. Hiddelson who operated the mill until he sold to Benjamin Hough in 1871. The mill changed hands over the years until it landed under the control of George Appel in 1892. The Appel family closed the mill in 1942 but it remained in their family until 1985. The Malvern Roller Mill was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
The original mill was powered by a vertical waterwheel; the mill, at the time, utilized buhrstones to grind the meal. On the nearby property, discarded buried buhrstones can be found. Sometime during the 1870s or 1880s the mill owners added a turbine to help the mill keep up with advances in technology. In 1888 Schriner installed a set of rollers, manufactured by Barkley and Leads Machine Company of Moline, Illinois, at the demand of his mill operator, Amos Greater, who had threatened to quit absent the rollers.
Millwright George Appel, from Sterling, Illinois, leased the mill, adjacent land and buildings in 1892. Appel, a recent German immigrant to the United States, oat huller and made oatmeal, corn meal, flour, and bran at the mill with his son. The mill, properly known as the Malvern Roller Mill or Malvern Milling Company, became known as the Appel Mill during this time period. The Appel family held the mill from its purchase in 1892 until 1985. Flour and meal, marketed under the Malvern Roller Mill name, was marketed in Sterling, shipped out the railroad and sold in far away location such as New York City and England.
John Appel took control of the mill in 1926 and operated it until its closure in 1942. During Appel's last years running the mill he limited his customers to nearby farmers who needed grains custom ground for animal feed. He closed the mill due to shortages caused by World War II.
The Malvern Roller Mill is a country grist mill located in Whiteside County, Illinois along Old Clover Road. The mill building sits about 300 feet (91.4 m) from the present-day roadway, Felton Road, which was rerouted in 1992. The mill is near the small northeastern Whiteside County community of Malvern, about nine miles (14 km) northeast of Morrison, Illinois. The mill building sits on the south bank of Rock Creek, a tributary of the Rock River, and to its northeast is a stone faced dam. The dam stretches the 80 to 90 feet (24.4 m to 27.4 m) across the Rock Creek, it is about 5 feet (1.5 m) thick and was reinforced with concrete during the 1950s. The 1858 mill building is of studded wall construction. The rectangular shaped building is 26½ (8.1 m) feet by 38 feet (11.6 m). To the west of the mill building is a circa 1890 Pratt truss bridge.