The brewery was opened in 1821 by Alexander Rodenbach, a blind middle-class man who became an important figure of Belgian Revolution in 1830. From 1836 to 1864 Regina Wauters, wife of Pedro Rodenbach, led the brewery; the direction was next assigned to Edward Rodenbach, their son, under whom the brewery developed and expanded greatly, adding a new malt factory, new fermentation cave, and other such facilities. The last Rodenbach to lead the brewery was Eugène, the son of Edward, who conducted operations from 1878 to 1889. The brewery remained in family hands until it was bought by Palm Breweries in 1998.
There are three different types of Rodenbach beers, all of the a Flanders red ale style: