is a municipality in the county of Sør-Trøndelag
Roan was separated from Bjørnør June 1, 1892.
The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the farm Roan, since the first church was built there. The name is probably derived from the Old Norse
f 'pole' (and then referring to a mountain peak behind the farm).
The coat-of-arms is from modern times (1987). It shows three terns
(See also the coat-of-arms of Tvedestrand.)