The ripple effect is an education-related term associated with the studies of Jacob Kounin. It involves the effects that a reprimand in a group has on members of the group who are not the intended targets of the reprimand (or desist, as Kounin coins it). The ripple effect can also apply if students are not reprimanded to correct a behavior. For example, if one student is talking when he or she is not supposed to be talking, and is not reprimanded, the behavior will spread like a ripple through water, as the rest of the class becomes increasingly more likely to talk at inappropriate times. However, this example does not necessarily apply in all situations, as many variables are introduced through human interaction as in a classroom setting.
The term is also used in sociology
, for example when economic growth or price rise spread from one activity or populations to other ones. Alvin Toffler
uses a similar concept: the waves of development.
- The Ripple Effect is a term used by the Humanity Healing Foundation in their articles on Spiritual Activism to refer to how positive thoughts and actions expand outward to effect other's lives, who in turn will add to the "ripple" with their own positive thoughts and actions. They produced a video illustrating the concept: The Ripple Effect
Improving Classroom Discipline Through Lesson Management
--Teachers need to know what is going on in all parts of the classroom at all times. This is called WITHITNESS.
--Good Lesson momentum helps keep students on track
--Smoothness in lesson presentation keeps students involved
--Effective Teachers have systems for gaining student attention and clarifying expectations
--Effective Teachers keep students involved and attentive
--Teachers can multi task and handle several situations or tasks at once
- The term is used as the basis of a book by author Steve Harper called The Ripple Effect: Maximizing the Power of Relationships For Your Life and Business - more info at www.ripplecentral.com
- The term was noted in the film Back to the Future Part II, after the protagonist Marty McFly succeeds in his mission to correct an altered timeline in 1955. As he succeeds, 1985 slowly changes back into the way it was. Doc describes the sweeping changes to time as a past event had been altered as the "ripple effect". Was also mentioned in the movie The Butterfly Effect. Where it is is believe that with the flap of a butterfly's wings can cause a typhoon halfway across the world.
- The phenomenon of ripple effect is also mentioned in the tv series "The 4400".
- The term briefly appears when loading the Supreme Commander homepage
- The ripple effect inspired charitable giving program by Cottage Dreams.
Festival Outside of the 2008 Republican National Convention
The Arts, Music, and Activism festival on the St. Paul Capitol Lawn outside of the 2008 Republican National Convention called Ripple Effect