rib joint pliers

Slip joint pliers


Slip joint pliers are pliers whose pivot point or fulcrum can be moved to increase the size range of their jaws. "Channellock" is an eponymous brand of slip joint pliers.


Most slip joint pliers use a mechanism that allows sliding the pivot point into one of several positions when the pliers are fully opened.


The two most common varieties of slip joint pliers are straight slip joint pliers and water pump or channellock type pliers.

Straight slip joint pliers are very common in North America and are often included in pre-packaged tool kits. They are configured similarly to common or linesman pliers in that their jaws are in line with their handles. One side of the pliers usually has two holes that are connected by a slot for the pivot. The pivot is fastened to the other side and shaped such that it can slide through the slot when the pliers are fully opened.

On water pump or channellock type pliers the jaws are set at a 45 to 60 degree angle to the handles. They usually have longer handles in comparison to their jaws than other pliers to provide better leverage. While the mechanism for changing sizes also requires fully opening the jaws of these pliers, they usually have more different pivot positions. The most common size is about 250mm from nose to the end of the handles and adjusts from 0-50mm jaw size

External links


Search another word or see rib joint plierson Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2015, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature