St Dunstan-in-the-East was an Anglican church located on St Dunstan's Hill, half way between London Bridge and the Tower of London in the City of London. The church was destroyed in the Second World War and the medieval ruins are now a popular public garden.
The church was built about 1100. It was severely damaged in the Great Fire of London in 1666. Rather than being completely rebuilt, the damaged church was patched up between 1668 and 1671. A steeple, designed by Sir Christopher Wren, was added 30 years later. This was unusual in that Wren designed it in the gothic style, to match the old church.
The church was severely damaged in the Blitz of 1941, during the Second World War. In the re-organisation of the Anglican Church in London following the War it was decided not to rebuild St Dunstan's.
In 1967 the City of London Corporation decided to turn the ruins of the church into a public garden. This was opened in 1971.
Wren's tower and steeple survived the bombs intact and now house the offices of a small health clinic. Of the rest of the church only the north and south walls remain. A lawn and trees have been planted within the ruins and a low fountain sits in the middle of the nave. The gardens are claimed to be the most beautiful public gardens in the City of London.
The church is now comprised within the parish of All Hallows by the Tower and occasional open-air services are held in the church, such as on Palm Sunday prior to a procession to All Hallows by the Tower along St Dunstan's Hill and Great Tower Street.