The twin cities of Sangli
are located in the Indian state
, nearly 400 kilometers southeast of Mumbai
. Sangli is the administrative headquarters of Sangli District
Sangli has the largest trading centre for turmeric in Asia. The green city is inside what is called 'Sugar Belt' of Maharashtra. The district has more than thirty sugar factories, which makes it among the highest sugar-producing districts of India. It also has oil seeds, commodities and fruit market.
Sangli is also known for high quality grapes and houses many state and privately owned cold storage facilities. A grape wine park spread over 1.42 km² (350 acres) has been established at Palus, 30 km from Sangli city. A brand new Sangli Food Park, spread across 1.2 km² (300 acres) is under construction at Alkud Mane-Rajuri.
The city derives its name from "Saha Galli" ("Six Lanes" in Marathi). Sangli city is known as Natyapandhari, the birthplace of Marathi drama. It has a historic Ganpati temple built in the 18th century by ruling Patwardhan dynasty of Sangli, appointed by Peshwas of Pune. The temple attracts thousands of devotees year around.
The twin cities, Sangli and Miraj have merged to form the largest urban agglomeration in Southern Maharashtra. The cities have important education centres offering graduate and post graduate quality education in the areas of arts, science, management, medicine, and engineering. The twin cities offers infrastructure that includes railway junction, affordable housing, public transport, telephone, high speed internet, quality hotels, a multiplex, shopping mall and a state-of-art sports complex.
Sangli is now emerging as one of the largest power generation hubs of India. Reliance Wind Energy (RWE), a subsidiary of Reliance ADA Group’s energy business, is setting up 150-MW wind power project worth Rs 900 crore with Suzlon Energy. Suzlon Energy will set up the wind farm in Sangli, one of the known wind zones in the state. The project will be in two phases, and is expected to be rolled out by March 2008.
The wind power project at Sangli will be one of the largest power project by Reliance, which is one of the largest private companies of India. After completion, the project will generate 380 million units of electricity per annum.
Miraj, also the capital of one of the former Princely States, is renowned for the manufacturing musical instruments. The Dargah of Meerasaheb Avalia attracts many devotees. Miraj is also known as hospital city offering every modern medical treatment. Hospitals in the region serve people of South [Maharashtra] and North Karnataka and even from Middle East countries. Some of the biggest hospitals in the area include century old Mission Hospital, Wanless Hospital, Siddhivinayak Cancer Hospital, Kripamayee Institute of Mental Science, Civil Hospital.
The region, known as Kundal (now a small village near Sangli city) in mediaeval India
, was the capital of the Chalukya kingdom
in 12th century AD.
Princely State of Sangli
, was one of the 11-gun salute princely states
of British India
, under the Kolhapur-Dekkan Residency in the Bombay Presidency
, and later the Deccan States Agency
. It was one of the southern Mahratta Jagirs
. Its territory was widely scattered among other native states and British districts.
Sangli was part of Maratha Empire, however, there are no direct references mentioning Sangli before 1801. During the time of Shivaji, Sangli, Miraj and surrounding areas were captured from the Mughal Empire. Until 1801, Sangli was included in Miraj Jahagir. The First Chintamanrao Appasaheb Patwardhan established a different principality with Sangli as the capital city.
The Principality of Sangli covered an area of 1112 square miles (2942 square kilometers), and had a population of 226,128 in 1901, while the population of the town itself was 16,829 in that year. In 1911, the state enjoyed a revenue estimated at £10,000-.
The last ruler of Sangi was Capt. HH Shrimant Raja Saheb Sir Chintamanrao II Dhundirajrao Appasaheb Patwardhan. Sangli joined the Dominion of India on March 8 1948 and is currently a part of the state of Maharashtra.
The Sangli-Miraj-Kupwad City Municipal Corporation is the local self-government body which looks after the development of the Sangli-Miraj twin cities. This is the largest municipal corporation in South Maharashtra and serves a population of 0.65 million.
The Sangli Municipal Corporation has carved a name for itself as the best municipal corporation of South Maharashtra. The corporation has planned and constructed a number of wide roads in the city, thereby reducing traffic density on the crowded streets of Sangli-Miraj.
The municipal corporation has come up with several unique ideas for city beautification, lake development, shopping centers, sanitation, slum eradication and waste management, ideas that have been widely recognized throughout the country.
Trade and industries
World-famous Turmeric of Sangli
The country's sole turmeric exchange in Sangli city boasts secrets gained through a centuries-old practice — storing turmeric in pits. These pits stretch far out in the open fields of the villages of Haripur and Sangalwadi. It is possibly the most unusual agricultural commodity-storage system in the country.
After clearing the loose soil covering the pit, it is left open for about two to three hours. One cannot enter the pit until one finds out if there is any oxygen within. To ascertain this, a lantern is lowered into the pit. If the lantern does not go out, it is safe to enter the pit.
It was this ingenious storage system, devised over 200 years ago, that turned Sangli into a major trading centre for turmeric. Raw turmeric sold by farmers is stored in these pits, eighteen to twenty feet (five to six metres) deep, for three to four years. The pits provide the best storage facility for turmeric, as the quality of the commodity remains unchanged. The turmeric hardens and matures while in storage.
Today, more than 90% of the turmeric trade in India takes place in Sangli.
Sangli Turmeric Commodity Exchange
Spices and Oilseeds Exchange, Mahavir Nagar, Sangli
Sangli: Sugar Belt
The Sangli region is known as the "Sugar Belt of India". This region houses over thirty large sugar factories. Vasantdada Patil
, who served as chief minister of Maharashtra for four terms, started the co-operative movement which helped Maharashtra become the most developed state in India. Most of the sugar factories of the Sangli sugar belt work on the co-operative basis.
Vasantdada Sugar Factory near Sangli city was the time largest sugar plant in Asia till late 90s.
Krishna Valley Wine Park
The Sangli district has recently entered into wine industry, and has achieved some success in producing classic vintage categories.
Wine producers in Sangli make distinctive, classic wines using imported root stocks. The fertile soil of the Sahyadri hills region, and the long sunny days and dry climate make for an excellent product. The government of Maharashtra has set up a specialized state-of-the-art wine park at Palus, 30 km from Sangli city. This 142 acre (575,000 m²) park, is located at Palus, which produces one of the best-quality grapes in the world.
Krishna Valley Wine Park has an International Quality Wine Institute which has been set up in association with the Bharati Vidyapeeth, a leading university of India. The institute carries out research in wine manufacturing.
Krishna Valley Wine Park of Sangli has been recognized as an Agri-Export Processing Zone by the Indian government.
Sangli Food Park
The park is being planned on a 305 acre (1.2 square kilometre) plot at Mane-Rajuri near Sangli city. Cebeco (India) is the consultant for the project.
The location is best suited for processing grapes, turmeric, mangoes, pomegranates, citrus fruits and custard apple.
Common facilities planned are cold-storage, effluent treatment and social infrastructure.
Sangli IT Park
The city now has an Infotech Park with state-of-the-art facilities waiting for Infotech companies to start operations. Sangli Infotech Park has state-of-the-art modern facilities for software companies. The park is located in an attractive locality surrounded by greenery.In Islampur newly software hub is going to be constructed by Jayant Patil the planing minister of Maharashtra. IT companies like Infosys, Patni, CapGemini,Cognizant and much more domestic small companies are ready to locate and some of them have started their construction in Islampur
Sangli.....Emerging Wind Power Hub in Asia
Suzlon, the largest wind power generation company in India has set up a number of electric power generation wind farms in Sangli. Now, Reliance India's largest private sector company is setting up 150 MW wind power project worth 90 Billion Indian rupees in Sangli in partnership with Suzlon. This wind power project will generate 380 million units of electricity per annum and generate employment for thousands of skilled / unskilled youth in Sangli.
With this mega power plant, Sangli finds a place on the global map as a major Power Generation Hub.
MIDC industrial areas in Sangli
- Sangli-Miraj Industrial Area
- Vasantdada Industrial Estate
- Marathe Industrial Estate
- Islampur Industrial Area
- Palus Industrial Area
- Kadegaon Industrial Area
- Vita Industrial Area
- Kavathemahankal Industrial Area
- Shirala or Battis Shirala Industrial Area
- Jath Industrial Area
- Chitale Dairy, Bhilawadi Station
Specialised industrial parks and export zones
- Krishna Valley Wine Park, Palus
- Sangli Food Park, Mane-Rajuri
- Sangli Infotech Park
- Textile Park, Kadegaon
- Readymade Garments Park, Vita
Chamber of Commerce and civic associations
- Krishna Valley Chamber of Commerce & Industries, MIDC, Kupwad, Sangli
- Sangli Chamber of Commerce, Mahavir Nagar, Sangli
- Sangli Miraj Manufacturers Association, MIDC, Miraj
- Deccan Manufacturers Association, Madhavnagar Road, Sangli
- Engineers and Architects Association, Gulmohar Colony, Sangli
There are numerous spots of scenic beauty near Sangli. Many Hindu
temples attract large numbers of devotees.
Tourist and religious attractions in the Sangli area include Sagareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary, Chandoli Wild life Sanctuary, Gokak waterfalls, Bahubali Hill Temples, Audumbar, Narsobawadi, Koyna, Mahabaleshwar and Bijapur.
There are various beautiful places in Sangli District. The Museum of Sangli includes various old coins and different things. Places like Battishirala is a very famous place and tourist comes from all around the world during Nag panchami.
Waterpark is also situated in Sangli district which is 19 k.m. from Miraj.
world famous fireworks in kavathe ekand (Tasgaon).
Tourist sites around Sangli City
- SANGLI WADI - also known as Saint Nagari Holly place
- Historic Ganesha Temple
- Ambrai Garden - Famous for various plants very gorgeous place
- Sagareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Chandoli National Park - Full of rich Flora and Fauna
- Gokak waterfalls
- Dandoba Hills Reserver Forest
- Historical Prachitgad Fort
- Audumbar Datta Temple
- Panhala Fort
- Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary
- Mahabaleshwar Hill Station
- Bijapur Historical Site
- Famous Tasgaon Ganesh Temple
- Sangameshwar Shiva Temple, Haripur
- Bagetil Ganapati Temple, Haripur
- Revansiddhanath temple, Vita
- Mahatma Gandhi Vachnalay - Only building in India whose stone is kept by Mahatma Gandhi
- Dandoba a beautiful temple
- Sagareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Bahe, Narasinghpur
- Ramling temple and grasslands
- Historical Vishnu Temple (Vishnu Ghat)
- Shukracharya, Near Bhivghat(10 km. From Bhivghat)
- BhimaShankar Temple, Bhivghat
Distances from major cities
Educational institutes in Sangli
There are many famous schools which are shaping thousands of children's lives. To name a few are Bapat Bal Vidya Mandir, M.K. Athavale & Krisha valley which are famous for KG to 5th std studies. Schools like City High School, Pradnya Prabodhini Prashala, Sangli High School, Patwardhan High School & Arwade High School are famous for secondary school studies.
There are renowned colleges like Walchand College of Engineering which is famous all over india for engineering studies. Wilingdon College is famous for Arts & Science studies. And Chintamanrao College is famous for Commerce studies.
Now a days few institutes are gaining popularity in management studies. To name a few are Bharati Vidyapeeth & VP institute of Management.
Cultural and Spiritual Heritage
Sangli is a land of saints, Yogis, tapaswis because of the huge, calm, and holy river Krishna. It is said that once the great national sent Swami Vivekananda also visited Sangli. The land of Sangli has been attracting the devotees and tapaswis for their tapa and sadhana.
Some nemes of the sents in this area are-
- Sant shree Tatya Saheb Kotnis maharaj
- Mama maharaj Kelkar
- Dasram maharaj kelkar
- Shree Hanumandasji maharaj and many others
- Walchand College of Engineering, Vishrambag
- Padmabhushan Vasantraodada Patil Institute of Technology,Budhgaon
- Rajarambapu Institute of Technology, Islampur
- style="font-weight : bold;">Annasaheb Dange College of Engineering & Technology, Ashta
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Institute of Technology, Palus
- Lathe Education Society Polytechnic, MIDC, Kupwad
- Government Polytechnic, Miraj
- Appasaheb Birnale College of Architecture, South Shivaji Nagar, Sangli.
- Government Medical College, Miraj
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Medical College, Wanlesswadi
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Dental College, Wanlesswadi
- Vasantdada Patil Ayurvedic Medical College, Kawalapur
- Annasaheb Dange Ayurvedic Medical College, Ashta
- Rajarambapu Patil Ayurvedic Medical College, Islampur
- Vasantdada Patil Dental College, Kawalapur
- Gulabrao Patil Homeopathy Medical College
Miraj and Sangli together has more than 800 hospitals, density wise it's the highest in Country.
- Appasaheb Birnale College of Pharmacy, Sangli
- S D Patil Institute of Pharmacy, Islampur
- Govt. College of Pharmacy, Miraj
- Miraj Medical Center College of Pharmacy, Miraj
- Gulabrao Patil College of Pharmacy, Miraj
- Hanmantrao Patil College of Pharmacy (D Pharm),Vita
- Shree Ambabai Talim Sanstha's College of Pharmacy, Miraj
- Appasaheb Birnale College of Architecture
- Willingdon College, vishrambaug, sangli
- Sangli highscool & junior college, Sangli
- Kasturbai Walchand College
- SNDT Women's College
- Garware Women's College
- Chintamanrao Commerce College
- Patangrao Kadam College, Sangliwadi (formerly known as Bhatrati Vidyapeeth's A.S.C. College, Sangli)
- G.A.College of Commerce
- Shantiniketan College:
there is YCMOU study center femous in Maharastra. course: Journalism & communication
- Rani Saraswati Kanyashala
- Miraj College
- Vidyamandir Prashala, Miraj
- LGR Purohit Kanya Prashala, Sangli
- Arts, Science & Commerce College, Ramanandnagar, Kirloskarwadi
- Sangli highschool sangli.
- City highschool sangli.
- Vasantdada patil institute of research and management, sangli- miraj road.
- H.H.Raja Chintamanrao Patwardhan Highschool sangli
- Shantiniketan junior college of arts & science
- Shri Vishnudas Bhave Natya Gruha, HarbhatRoad, Sangli
- Shri Dinanath Mangeshkar Natya Gruha, Patel Chowk, Sangli