is a place where data
or specimens are stored and maintained for future retrieval. A repository can be
- a place where data are stored
- a place where specifically digital data are stored
- a site where eprints are located
- a place where multiple databases or files are located for distribution over a network,
- a computer location that is directly accessible to the user without having to travel across a network.
- a place to store specimens, including serum or other biological fractions
- a place where anything is stored for probable reuse
From Latin repositorium,
place or thing for storage; from reposit-
. of reponere
, to store, put away) + -torium,
, suffix indicating the place or thing appropriate for the verb to which it is affixed.