William C. R. Sheridan (1917-2005) was the fifth bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana and served from 1972 to 1987. He was born in New York, New York on March 25, 1917, the son of the Rev. John Russell Fortisque Sheridan and his wife, Gertrude Magdalen Sheridan. He died September 24, 2005, at his home in Culver, Indiana and was buried in New Oakhill Cemetery, Plymouth, Indiana.
Early life and education
William Cockburn Russell Sheridan grew up in Baltimore
where he attended St. Paul's School
. He started college at the University of Virginia
but had to drop out because of the Great Depression
. Later he was able to go to Wisconsin
where he attended seminary at Nashotah House
while doing his undergraduate work at Carroll College (Wisconsin)
. He received a BA from Carroll in 1939 and an M.Div from Nashotah in 1946.
Ordination and Parish Ministry
William Sheridan was ordained to the diaconate on January 1, 1940 and to the priesthood on June 3, 1943, both in the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland
He assisted at St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Towson, Maryland
from 1942-1943. From 1844-1947, he was priest in charge of Episcopal churches in Gas City
and Hartford City Indiana
while serving as rector of Gethsemane Episcopal Church in Marion
. In 1947 he became rector of St Thomas in Plymounth and served there until he was elected bishop in 1972.
William Sheridan was consecrated as bishop on June 24, 1972, in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart on the campus of the University of Notre Dame
at the special invitation of Notre Dame's former President, Fr. Theodore M. Hesburgh
. Bishop Sheridan was the first non-Roman Catholic to be so honored.
Wife and Family
William Sheridan married Rudith Treder on November 13, 1943, and they had five children. After his retirement, Bishop and Mrs. Sheridan moved to Culver where they remodeled a former church into their home. The bishop was survived by his wife, all five children, nine grandchildren and eleven great-grandchildren.